KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just put new wheels on, 17" and my speedo of course doesn't work properly

is there any way I can change wheel diameter in it ??

·
Registered
26 Posts
there is . which model do you have ? I'm assuming you are talking about a 690 , clocks are different for the standard and the R version . I have the R and was told by KTM that it couldn't be done . but that's cos guys were doing it to keep milage down without changing the wheels , so they won't tell you . I posted how to do it or either on this forum or on supermotojunkie.com or both . I'm not sure , give me a sec and i'll try and find it .

·
Registered
26 Posts
here it is . It sounds complicated but it's not , give it a go

You need to change the wheel circumference on the speedo so that the speed and mileage will be accurate with the 17" front wheel. The stock 21" wheel setting is 2250mm. The SMC stock 17" wheel setting is 1870mm. To change the setting, you first need to remove the headlight mask, remove the rubber boot that protects the wire harness that plugs into the bottom of the speedo (easier to do if you remove the headlight mask altogether by unplugging the headlight and the turn signals), and simply cut the gray/brown wire in the 18th pin. This wire is just a wheel circumference lock for the speedo. Once you cut it, it allows you to change the circumference setting on the speedo. Since I see no reason to not have this functionality, I just cut it and could resolder it if I wanted to lock the setting in the future. I see no reason why I would want to do that, however, so I simply cut the wire.

Then reassemble the mask.

-- Turn key to "on" and with the speedo set to "Trip 1", press and hold "Mode" for 10 sec.
-- Length 2250 (the 21" circumference) will show up
-- Press "mode" to increase and "set" to decrease the circumference.
-- The correct setting for 17" should be 1870.
-- Press "mode" and "set" simultanously to set it.

A helpful Advrider thread on the speedo adjust is located at: ktm 690 enduro LED issues - ADVrider

·
Registered
26 Posts
did the 450sxf even come standard with a speedo ? . yours is most likely an aftermarket unit . post a pic of it and try and get a model number for it and maybe i can help

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

here you go

by looking at the part numbers on the speedo I assume there are different speedos for differ wheels sizes, but I was reading some other post on diff forum and guys there claimed you that you can reprogram it yourself, didn't say how though :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts