KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a month of ownership of my 1090 adventure, I have decided to fit her with sport touring tyres as I鈥檓 never really going to go off road.
im fitting metzeler roadtec 01 s, can you people in the know tell me what sizes to get that will fit? , as currently has metezler Torrance鈥檚 on. Thanks馃憤

Registered
Getting the Dunlop Mutants fitted tomorrow. Great option if you still want to retain the ability to hit the occasional trail.

Registered
Getting the Dunlop Mutants fitted tomorrow. Great option if you still want to retain the ability to hit the occasional trail.

I guess you have an S with 19 inch front wheel as last time I checked Dunlop didn鈥檛 do a 21 inch Mutant. I fitted a Dunlop Meridian to my 890 and they鈥檙e great.

Registered
You could put 1190 / 1290 S wheels on it which would give a 120 Front and a 160 Rear, KTM do a Spoked Wheel set as an optional extra for 1290S owners wanting spokes, IIRC it is about 拢800 for the pair of wheels and all you would need to do is swap over your discs.

If you wanted cast wheels though it gets way more expensive as they can only be bought as spares and I think you would then be looking at @拢2k....

...In which case you might as well put the dosh towards an 1190 / 1290 and grab yourself a huge power / torque boost at the same time ;-)

My advice would be to fit Conti Road Attack 3's, by far the best tyres I have ever had fitted to any of my 1x90 - owned a 1090 / 1190 / 1290 and got through a few sets over the years / miles. Metzler Roadtec 01's are also highly rated but I have never tried them, love the Conti's so much I won't be using anything else for a while.

Registered
1290 Adventure S
Metzeler Roadtecs are a good tyre on the Adventures, I had them on my 1190 (running 1090 cast wheels) and now have them on my 1290. Lots of other good tyres out there too, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the Roadtecs.

Sizes for your bike are: Front 110/80 R19, Rear 150/70 R17

Registered
I think they might last a smidge longer, in my experience the faux trail rubber seems to burn through quickly - but I generally chuck on sport touring rubber as soon as oe ones worn.

Roadsmart 3s last well - probably better than RA3s but are old hat now, mich Road 5s last very well, but I really did not get on with them.

Registered
1290 Superduke R
Do the Road Attack 3's last better than the Trail Attack 3's?
Reason I ask is I'm burning through my TA3 rear pretty quickly.
You should get 4000 out of a rear RA3 on the 1190 and if you keep to mixed and lively riding and avoid straight-lining and dual carriageways they'll keep their profile pretty well too.
Trail Attacks will flat off more readily and it's easy to tear the middle out of them.

Registered
Quoting mileages from tyres is pointless, I have wildly varying mileages depending on if I have been commuting, touring or blasting locally on the same tyres.

Over they years I have seen people getting 10k on the same bike / tyre combo that I can only get 4k out of.

Back in the 90's a mate of mine would rarely get much past 1,000 miles out of a rear tyre, me and all my other mates were getting 2-5k from the same or similar rubber on similar bikes. Then again he literally rode flat out everywhere, luckily we got him to try racing before he killed himself ;-)

Registered
1290 Superduke R
Not for me it isn't. I get about the same mileage from my usual set of tyres every time because I ride in much the same way in all circumstances. One reason why I want a big custom for touring so that from time to time I might actually see and remember the places I've been to.

I've ridden with Trousersnake as well and I have a fair idea of how he rides, and we're both riding the same model of bike, and I think a 4K ballpark figure would be a reasonable estimate of what he could expect.

Registered
Have had the Mutants on a week now and can say they are pretty awesome. Not tested in the wet yet (suspect this week will).

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
I think a 4K ballpark figure would be a reasonable estimate of what he could expect.
Just been out to have a proper look and it looks to be about 2mm away from the wear markers near the centre, and I've done 3,130 miles.
So yeh, I think that's what it's going to be... 4k and then finished.

There have been a few times where I've been forced to do long stretches of m/way or dual carriageway, just trying to get home after a long day or the commute to/from from a ferry.
It does seems to be squaring off more than usual though, which could be down to it being the trail version.

Registered
1290 Superduke R
The Trail Attacks have a flatter profile to start with to give a wider contact patch on the loose stuff. Once they start to flatten in the middle you're fighting a losing battle really. At least with sports tyres you can recover the profile to a certain extent with a good session of of vigorous riding on twisties. But you've not much chance of that with dual purpose.

You'll probably find the steering feels much quicker with fresh TA3s. I always know mine are getting near the end when the steering feels sluggish flicking from side to side.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts