KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '07 625 SMC that always sounded like a cement mixer .... until Sunday when the cement mixer suddenly became full of bricks :frown:.

Methinks the big ends are no more ..... and the oil's full of metalflake. Soooo, time to get the spare engine I have :D out and fit it.

I've had the spare for a couple of years and never used it (It's supposed to be an '05 625 SMC.) It's only once I come to fit it that I've noticed that there are some differences to my original engine.

The original has a double banjo bolt on the oil lines above the alternator stator and theres an oil pipe running to the front of the engine originating from a banjo bolt on the front left crankcase. None of this is there on the replacement (Single banjo with 1 oil line running down to the oil filter cover).

There's a temp sensor on the rear of the cylinder near the camchain tensioner that's not there on the original, and there's a 3 pin wiring loom in place of the single neutral indicator wire on the original (I think the other pins are for an oil pressure light switch.)

Can anyone offer any advice on what the replacement engine might be ?. Is it just an earlier '625 (casting marks suggest '04 manufacture date) or have I been conned and sold a 640 ??

Finally - If it does turn out to be a 640, what were the performances differences versus the 625 ?.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know - bike's at home and I'm at work (160 miles away) :frown:

Think I've found my own answers - there's an 04 SMC on fleabay and the engine photos show the same oil pipe arrangements as my spare engine

..... Wonder why they added the extra oil pipe from 05 on ?.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts