KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did start a thread a few weeks back regarding rear suspension set up and after riding last Sunday and feeling a few bumps I asked my self a question...

Would the difference in spring set up from the KTM stock spring of 69-250 to the 66-250 make a BIG difference?

I am about 75-78kg with all my gear on (will Check this weight). It may be the case that the rear suspension recoil is too quick hence the seat hitting my arse over long straights of bumps. I have set the sag up according to the manual so thats all fine. Just thinking the 66-250 spring may be softer...

Thanks.

Nick;)

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
You need a heavier spring I believe possibly a 72 250 ?

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Ask someone to watch you ride. Then change something and ride that part again

e.g.

Is the rear end getting lower and lower and stiffer as you hit one bump after another? Too much compression damping.

Is the rear end coming up quick and hitting you in the arse? Too little rebound damping.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
springs

well i can tell you from experience that getting the spring rates right is the most important thing when trying to achieve perfect set up
when your springs are soft your blowing through your travel and the damping is over compensating, I'm 83 kgs with out gear and i have 4.6 kgs in my forks and a 76 in my rear and 1 more turn of preload on my rear spring changed the way my bike handled now it begs me to stand up and handles awesome, and another thing i did was to increase the fork preload by 2mm and that really improved the small stutter bumps and complimented the whole ride , hope this helps:burp:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

It seemed on Sunday the rear was as Kev said smacking me in the arse which would suggest my rebound damping is wrong.

Im riding at North Farm on the 3rd October. Ill have a play around then.

Nick

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Have you seen the set up in the manual Sport, standard and comfort.

I use these and make little tweeks as I go, though I do spend most my time in sport set up unless trail riding.

Not sure if I'm right but it's a start.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you seen the set up in the manual Sport, standard and comfort.

I use these and make little tweeks as I go, though I do spend most my time in sport set up unless trail riding.

Not sure if I'm right but it's a start.
Hi Kristian, I havn't seen that in the manual ill have a look.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts