KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My GT has developed a rear brake squeak when slowing down. Really annoying. Anyone else had this problem? Bikes done just over 7000 miles. Last couple of rides I’ve been cleaning the rear disc with isopropyl alcohol as I’ve ran out of brake cleaner. It quietens down for a short while but comes back.

Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Gen 3 did the same. WD40 with the long straw type attachment, squirt a one second spray between the back of the pad and the cylinders. That fixed mine.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
990 SMTs were notorious for rear brake squeal. I used Wurth brake paste on the back of the pads.
Problem largely disappeared when I stopped using Brembos pads.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Copper grease will work but it's messy and you not suppose to use it on ABS systems also try to keep it off rubber parts use Red rubber grease to lube piston seals :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would you recommend removing pads, remove rear wheel first?

How do you refit the pads and fit the pads pin through the stiff safety spring? Seems really hard for one person.

I’ve bought this...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Copper slip is not a good idea on brakes. Motor factors do not recommend it:

Use dedicated brake grease or brake paste.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
How would you recommend removing pads, remove rear wheel first?

How do you refit the pads and fit the pads pin through the stiff safety spring? Seems really hard for one person.

I’ve bought this...

I usually get it from here Click and Collect
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-ceratec-brake-lube-75ml-grease-526770250 Did the rear brake last year removed rear wheel and serviced the Caliper and flushed fluid no problem

·
Registered
248 Posts
For at least 15yrs i've use Wurth AL1100 which is also sold as brake paste as Knapper described. I prefer this to copper slip as it has a higher temperature tolerance. Using these type of products is not a problem providing you do so sensibly. Just like the use of silicone sealant, you should only apply enough to get the job done, if you put too much on then it will cause a problem. You sound a little lacking in confidence about doing the job, so perhaps you have a mate with a bit more experience who could come and lend a hand? Just a thought.

·
Registered
944 Posts
For at least 15yrs i've use Wurth AL1100 which is also sold as brake paste as Knapper described. I prefer this to copper slip as it has a higher temperature tolerance. Using these type of products is not a problem providing you do so sensibly. Just like the use of silicone sealant, you should only apply enough to get the job done, if you put too much on then it will cause a problem. You sound a little lacking in confidence about doing the job, so perhaps you have a mate with a bit more experience who could come and lend a hand? Just a thought.
Well volunteered ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Why don't pads just come with anti-squeal shims like they used to?
I was thinking the same thing. My guess would be cost cutting but i really don't know. Also as you say the problem can disappear by simply changing pad supplier or pad material.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If/When replacing the pads (Front/Back) what do people recommend? Brembo pads? Organic or Sintered?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts