KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Squeaky ktm excf 2007 - bearings gone?

Ie done a bit of searching and it would appear that my very squeaky EXCf 250 (2007) is because of a worn seal either in the lower shock mount or the swingarm itself. The bike squeaks loads when sat on It bouncing The suspension up and down.

WoulD this diagnosis be correct? I plan on doing it myself, is it fairly straight forward??

I gather that I jut consult the microfiche and order bits like that?

Thanks all

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
my brand new (2,0 hours) EXC 450 does the same and it really bugs me. You're sure its the bearings. Have you tried to spray WD40 on the shock mounts... I did this and and it was fine (for a while)...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% it's the bearings. I was going to check them today (wheel hasgotta come off anyway). How do I check for play in the swingarm? I gather it's excessive side to side movements?
Is WD40 safe as a lube as I heard that the lower shock mount is Teflon coated and shoulnt be greased/lubed.
It creaks really bad, at first I thought it was the spring but I think it is coming from either the lower mount or swingarm pivot joint.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
If you take out the wheel you can easy check the play. Get somebody who holds the bike, then try to move the swingram back and forward. Try also to move it from side to side. There should be no play at all. Not sure about the WD40, if you are in doubt dont use it. Didnt know about the teflon coating...
I talked to a colleague who has a EXC 400 and he said his squeaked extremely loud and it took him hours till he found it. He said it was the rubber part covering the front sprocket. When wet it was gone as soon as the bike dried it was back again when the chain slightly touched the cover....

I am pretty sure your bearings are okay, but lets see what you find out. Would be great if you could let me know...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Put it on a box / stand and try and lift the swinging arm up - you'll feel the play if there is any in the form of a clunk. The lower heim joint replacement is an easy-ish fix & I reckon you'll prob find play in that joint if it's not been replaced since '07.

As you've mentioned, they've some sort of coating, so check it first - if there is play, it'd need replacing anyway, so you could always douse it in WD40 at that point to see if the squeak goes (sort of a positive test) - if there is no play I'd be wary about greasing it up.

RTS

·
Registered
751 Posts
i'd say it was the pds bearing (shock to swinging arm), mine was squeaking like yours, i changed the pds bearing now its gone!!!! think there about £28 off ktm, try niknak on here first tho...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't yet have a proper stand for the bike, but with the help of a car jack, a plank of wood and a regular paddock stand, I've managed to get the swingarm off. I couldn't feel any play whatsoever in the joints, and it didn't squeak when the shock was disconnected. I'm wondering whether the squeak was the shock rubbing on the airbox cover?? Is it worth replacing the bearings and seals anyway??

·
Registered
751 Posts
mine didnt have any play in it, just the squeak did my head in, when i knocked it out you could see it was nearly fooked! everythings off now so you might as well change it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new kit ordered for the lower shock mount as the bearings were proper screwed. I've also ordered new bearings for the swingarm pivot but having taken out the 'sleeve' and caps, the bearings look ok. they are not worn, and nor can i feel any roughness - but might as well replace them then I know they have been done.

I'm having a bit of trouble though - the haynes manual says to prize out the black seals, but all mine seem to do is split so i end up pulling out little black bits of rubber...im not actually sure if ive managed to get all the seal out or not - theres a lot of old rusty mud around the outside, making it difficult to see what is a seal and what is part of the swingarm, if that makes sense??

And I can't for the life of me get the old bearing out of the lower shock mount - it spins, and is free, but i cant knock the thing out. Am i right in thinking that heat might do the trick?

So many questions, but i don't feel im doing too bad for a girl! hahaha

·
Registered
837 Posts
i'm sure i read somewhere that it was a teflon sleeve of some sorts at the bottom of the shock that makes the noise. have to replace and not WD40 it coz it'll wear quicker. i'm sure i read it!!!

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
shit, I tried tonight just to see and mine squeaks like a pig. That pisses me no end as mine is brand new (2 hours) and should not have worn bearings or so *sigh*

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
new kit ordered for the lower shock mount as the bearings were proper screwed. I've also ordered new bearings for the swingarm pivot but having taken out the 'sleeve' and caps, the bearings look ok. they are not worn, and nor can i feel any roughness - but might as well replace them then I know they have been done.

I'm having a bit of trouble though - the haynes manual says to prize out the black seals, but all mine seem to do is split so i end up pulling out little black bits of rubber...im not actually sure if ive managed to get all the seal out or not - theres a lot of old rusty mud around the outside, making it difficult to see what is a seal and what is part of the swingarm, if that makes sense??

And I can't for the life of me get the old bearing out of the lower shock mount - it spins, and is free, but i cant knock the thing out. Am i right in thinking that heat might do the trick?

So many questions, but i don't feel im doing too bad for a girl! hahaha
Heat the swingarm near the PDS bearing till its hot enough to feel it on your face, then belt it out in one piece with a big hammer and length of bar.

Put the new bearing in the freezer, use threaded bar, sockets and washers to pull the new one into place. I lubricate mine with Silkolene red grease RGV or something similar. Lube the seal lips too.

Use threaded bar and sockets to pull out/push in new bearings. Remove the end caps and sleeves first.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
have a 2008 exc that squeeks but its just the spring rubbing on the airbox rubber slightly
I wish you'd have posted that earlier. Found the same on my bike this afternoon, but theres nothing I can do. KTM says "ride it, you wont hear it anyway and after some time it disappears". They're so cool *lol* :redface::scooter:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How the hell are you meant to install new seals ? Not only are they made of cheese but so too is the housing! I've bent 3 already, and I need to put it together today!!!

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
How the hell are you meant to install new seals ? Not only are they made of cheese but so too is the housing! I've bent 3 already, and I need to put it together today!!!
Strange, never bent them myself. Try using threaded bar and big washers to pull them in square.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yay! Finally did it and banished the squeaking. I didn't replace the bearings in the swing arm pivot as they looked and felt fine, but replaced the seals and gave it a good clean. So it turns out it was lower shock mount bearing (pds bearing I think they called it). I'll be glad not to do that job again in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts