KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a ktm but we all talk bollocks on here anyway. anyone else tempted to buy one after seeing initial reviews?

seems its the real deal. Stark even had the balls to take all the current 450's to compare for the media.
now that's confidence in their product

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks good, although it is a promo so they cherry pick all the best bits. I'd like to see an impartial opinion.
It's the future for certain. Genuine question, does anyone ride electric in competition, at any level, on a regular basis? We have an MX track in the next valley to us, meetings there 4 or 5 times a year, not seen a leccy bike there yet. Its local club level racing, but theres serious riders with money to spend.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
The electric bikes are appearing in trials now. An epure did very well at SSDT. That’s a pretty savage test of any bike. I’m sure they needed lots of batteries though.

Since the Alta went, Stark has been the only ebike to light things up. I can’t wait to see one in action or ride one.

The common factor I’m seeing/reading so far is how people are using the throttle. It’s not like a petrol bike where more throttle means more fuel and air and climbing power levels. With electric the torque is there as soon as the motor turns. Super precise throttle use is key. Keep opening it and it just develops even more.

We will all need to re calibrate for electric but enjoy super unleaded petrol while it lasts as it won’t be long till it’ll be seen as popular as 2 star petrol.

When we have an electric bike like a stark but with a two hour battery that’s easily swapped then petrol is done. I can’t wait. You’ll be able to ride absolutely anywhere!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I guess sooner or later they will attract a mega money sponsor -Red Bull, Alpinestars or whatever, employ a couple of top class riders and get on the world stage in Supercoss or MX. Chuck some big bucks at it, be the first of the new breed.
If they are as good as the promo vid claims, I'm sort of surprised that hasn't happened already. Or do the regs need modifying to allow them to compete on an even basis? It's all very interesting, I'm sort of disappointed that I'm probably too old and not rich enough to be able to enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Looks good, although it is a promo so they cherry pick all the best bits. I'd like to see an impartial opinion.
It's the future for certain. Genuine question, does anyone ride electric in competition, at any level, on a regular basis? We have an MX track in the next valley to us, meetings there 4 or 5 times a year, not seen a leccy bike there yet. Its local club level racing, but theres serious riders with money to spend.
Check out the latest 'Rust' e-mag article.
I always find them straight in their opinions...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's around 20 reviews now with majority saying game changer. it also lapped the track 6 seconds faster than a 450 husqvarna which is crazy.
there's a guy called Brian in the states who races a Alta against 4 strokes and does very well.
I ordered a stark last year and was still skeptical but these reviews have been far more complementary than anticipated

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
CLUTCH!!!!!!

But yeah, game changer in the Mx world for sure.

It's worth listening to the 3 hour Gypsy Tales podcast interview with the Stark CEO. Really interesting to hear his ethos and how they are approaching things. Also interesting stories on there from when he was part of 24mx.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I guess sooner or later they will attract a mega money sponsor -Red Bull, Alpinestars or whatever, employ a couple of top class riders and get on the world stage in Supercoss or MX. Chuck some big bucks at it, be the first of the new breed.
If they are as good as the promo vid claims, I'm sort of surprised that hasn't happened already. Or do the regs need modifying to allow them to compete on an even basis? It's all very interesting, I'm sort of disappointed that I'm probably too old and not rich enough to be able to enjoy it.
The Stark boss said in one of the videos I saw that MX is rewriting the regs as we speak to allow the Stark Varg to compete..

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
CLUTCH!!!!!!

But yeah, game changer in the Mx world for sure.

It's worth listening to the 3 hour Gypsy Tales podcast interview with the Stark CEO. Really interesting to hear his ethos and how they are approaching things. Also interesting stories on there from when he was part of 24mx.
Nobody has three hours of listening abilities these days.

If you have sold it in 90 seconds your done for.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have not taken much if any notice for ages, kept asking for video of battery change and what will happen if you "case" it hard on the £5000 thin magneisum battery case with enough power to kill you but they only seem interested in name dropping all the has been riders who have ridden it and all the B S marketing you get these days.
My order is due december I think or was it november I forget, what ever I do not think that will happen but I might sell my order to the highest bidder ;) its red 80 hp 18 inch rear wheel and side stand.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
As it is without a "hot swap" battery I think what is needed is a group of about 5 or 6 need to get together with one of these bikes each and all chip in to buy one of these big fairly quitet diesel powered generators that has the power to charge all the bikes at the same time, that way you could do a motocross meeting but still not much good for enduro or h/h, Even then this would probably need some fast charging and part charging neither is good for battery life.
Probably need to be under cover as well water and chargers etc do not mix well.

Talking of wet I can not think I have seen any video of these bikes in wet conditions, rain on hard pack I guess would be a nightmare, we do not use our electric bikes in the wet but I know from time to time there has been still a few damp patches and they spin up very easily.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if being used as a mx bike I don't see any issues with range. we only get 20 minute sessions on most tracks. fatcats is sometimes 15 mins in the summer when busy.
I'm already prepared with a quiet 6500w generator.
if being used as a trail riding bike there's still a big question mark on usable range

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
They claim six hours range with enduro use. That’s not bad even if in reality it turns into 4. I don’t know of a normal dirt bike fuel tank that lasts longer? I suppose it depends on where and how your riding though. Lots of open fast climbs will be less range. All zig zag tight woods and it’ll last ages. You also won’t need 80bhp in tight woods. Half power would be fine so it should be tunable for range easy enough. So many of my ride sessions are less than 2.5 hours so on paper I’m not worried as it is now.

My thinking is as soon as this bikes a reality, the bike will trigger a market reaction. Emotion will make one I reckon. KTM must have something up their sleeve. Yamaha have the trials bike already.We are close!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts