KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
It's time for my 2020 EXC 250 TPI's 90 hours bendix inspection and bronze bushes fitment.

Can someone advise on the state of the gears please? I'm unsure if they should be chamfered but can't decide if it's by design or wear.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not too bad, Ship. The red coating was wearing thin and the starter would stick/ spin and not engage sometimes, so while the cover was off I thought for £17 it's a neat upgrade.

Could you recommend a grease to lube this area up with?

·
Premium Member
10,134 Posts
Thanks for that Jim - l am going to do the same. This is the grease that KTM say to use - l got a tube in for this specific purpose
Medical equipment Material property Font Brand Eyelash

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, I'll use that.

In hindsight I would have ordered the Tokyo Offroad version, as they have flats to miss other features and a little recess for oil to pass pass bush. I ended up using an ebay seller, they are good quality but don't have the extra engineering.

·
Premium Member
10,134 Posts
Yes, l saw the tokyo vid where he explained his bush's ....... l reckon l will go with those as they are fit and forget, but any bronze bushings will be better than the oem!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Pretty sure the bendix needs to be chamfered so that it can engage more smoothly. All of mine on the older generation bikes have been chamfered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Al. Upon further inspection, all the chamfers are as they should be with just a slight bit of wear on top of them so it's staying for now.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Pretty sure the bendix needs to be chamfered so that it can engage more smoothly. All of mine on the older generation bikes have been chamfered.
Was thinking that, helps it bounce in rather than out. Check the edges of the Shimano gear sets on your pushbike. Same thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was thinking that, helps it bounce in rather than out. Check the edges of the Shimano gear sets on your pushbike. Same thing.
Exactly. But funny you should say that, before anyone replied I saw a spare starter motor at work and realised the error of my ways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts