KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 690 SMR issue...Bike is an ‘09. For the last few days it has taken a few turns to start, would almost catch and then not but would always start

yesterday, almost caught a few times and then starter was clicking, tried bump starting but couldn’t get enough speed on flat ground to not just lock rear wheel.

charged battery to full overnight and expected it to start this morning...same thing. No turning just clicking

checked the fuses under the tank and the main fuse on the starter relay, all look fine (swapped main fuse out with spare just for good measure)

any ideas where to go next?

ta

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had some sort of progress, maybe? A change anyway 😂

took plug out and rolled bike back and forward in gear just to check everything is free and see if it cranked without compression - it didn’t

cleaned up earth connector on frame, bolt was pretty rusty but connectors looked clean.

went to try starter again and now it’s not clicking but the starter is buzzing/whirring but not cranking. It has had a new starter recently so I assumed not this but possibly a duff starter?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More... whipped starter off. The starter turns when there is no resistance.

As soon as it’s back on just whines away. Could this be the starter faulty? Did wonder if maybe battery could just be fucked and not generating enough power to turn buttried jumping off a car battery last night and was just clicking too so guess not?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, I have no idea what a sprag clutch is or how to test it?

is it likely to have just failed? Seems strange to me that it was turning the engine but not firing and then just clicking, and now after poking around getting that sound 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just been for another look, it doesn’t sound like that, it was back to clicking just now, gave the starter a tap with a block of wood and weird whirring/motor sound, but not a consistent whir like the sprag clutch video

should’ve stuck to two strokes. Nothing goes wrong with them

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
OK, so works when it's off the bike, not when it's on. So it's piss weak. sounds like your brushes are worn out on the starter.. Take the back end off the starter, and check.
Not sure if KTM sell Brushes, so while you're in there, see if you can find a make and part number on the brush holder. You can usually get them for a tenner.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok more info and I have a theory.

soI’ve had the bike not very long and it had a rebuildbefore I bought it, the guy saidhe had to almost rock it on the starter because of high compression... you held the starter button and nothing would happen it would just pause then slowly whirr and turn engine.

whilst searching for stuff related to my issues I found the autodexompressor issuesand the spring weakening...whipped rocker cover off and sure enough...spring not attached.

so I think what with the high compression it’s just fried the new starter? Going to tryhooking up to another batteryJust to rule that out

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
Sounds like a weak starter motor to me. Open it up, if it looks worn, dusty and smells like an environmental health call out bonfire, then its fucked.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
Just read your post. If p.o had used something juicy to jump it, then that will have helped with demise.

I had a new 2011 530 that had a faulty 08 cam in it with faulty deconp. The dealer fucked the starter by jumping with a jump pack before agreeing that cam was at faulty. Blew the lights as well. Dullard.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m hoping that is what has happened, eBay starter motor en route, will update when it arrives 👍🏻

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New starter arrived today, connected up, turned engine over easily, fired up the easiest its ever done.

just need to wire in a switch so I can put the fan on earlier and life will be good!

cheers for all the help boys 👍🏻

·
Registered
1 Posts
glad it worked well for you. can you recommend the ebay seller? i had a similar issue with my starter by the way and repaired it. thinking about changing it soon. thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seller was Teilweise-Motorrad which I suspect isn’t too helpful as I’m in Germany at the moment so it was a German ebayer. It was also a second hand item, paid about 100eur for it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts