KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search to try and answer this problem but no one seems to have suffered the same problem as me.

I fitted a new battery today as the bike wouldn't e-start off the old one. It would click and turn over very slowly, as though the battery had run out of charge.

New battery helped, but still can't get the bike started off the button. It sounds as though the plates are spinning, doesn't sound good at all. I don't know anything about engines/gears apart from what I just read in my haynes manual.

The search mentioned that it is common for ktms to lose teeth on the starter motor gears, which I guess would explain the spinning or lack of engaging off the button, but how do I know for sure...the chapter in my Haynes manual talks about primary gear, starter clutch etc etc.

I'm willing to give stuff a go, or is it best someone else with the tools and knowledge do it for me?

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Very common on the 250F... in fact StuJ's bike is suffering from it at the moment ;)
The starter motor turns but all you get is a whirring/grating noise and engine hardly turns if at all.

80040026000 FREE WHEEL 03 £52.35

pretty straighforward to swap, but you do need a flywheel puller. I can loan you one if you want :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kev. I think id better get someone to do it along with checking the valve clearances as I can't kick it in my slippers ;) and sometimes the kicker sticks up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sure its not the earth ?? it was on mine with same symptoms

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
sure its not the earth ?? it was on mine with same symptoms
This part maybe...

I fitted a new battery today as the bike wouldn't e-start off the old one. It would click and turn over very slowly, as though the battery had run out of charge.
But not this part...

New battery helped, but still can't get the bike started off the button. It sounds as though the plates are spinning, doesn't sound good at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts