KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1998 300EXC and I am having trouble starting it. Removed the spark plug and it is wet with fuel/oil.

So far I have set-up the float level, checked the jets and adjusted the needle to the 2nd clip (from the top). I am running a 50:1 fuel ratio.

Any help would be most welcome.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your first step should be to see if a spark is being produced. Clean plug, put it back in plug cap, place plug end against outside of cylinder, kick the kick starter over, ask mate if he sees a spark.

If sparking, try bump starting bike on a hill

If not sparking, try to see spark with a known working plug

If no spark can be seen with a known working plug, then your problem has nothing to do with fuel or carb, it's an electrical problem

While plug is out, you should place your thumb or finger over plug hole while mate kicks over kickstarter, this may give you an indication about how much compression your piston is making/ not making

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys and thanks for getting back to me!

The bike is producing a spark.

With the plug removed and my finger over the plug hole the seems to be plenty of compression.

I have tried bump starting it in 1st gear but the back wheel just digs in.

When kick starting it doesn't sound hollow.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you have a spark, compression and fuel getting to the plug, you should be able to get a 2 stroke running ( for a bit at least ).

In your situation, I would next try putting in a hot plug which has just been removed from another bike then try bump-starting it.

If this fails, my next step would be squirting a wee drop of petrol into the plug hole, then bump starting

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
If you have a spark, compression and fuel getting to the plug, you should be able to get a 2 stroke running ( for a bit at least ).

In your situation, I would next try putting in a hot plug which has just been removed from another bike then try bump-starting it.

If this fails, my next step would be squirting a wee drop of petrol into the plug hole, then bump starting
Reminds me of my youth :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed the spark plug, heated it up, put it back in and the bike starts. But only for a few seconds!

What I don't get is the bike was running ok at the start of the week and now this. I had it out for a ride, washed it, gave it a run up and down the street and back into the garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fitted a new spark plug and it started 1st time. Took it out for a quick run and all ok!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts