KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently had the starter motor replaced and since then ive sometimes had trouble firing the bike up on the elec start. been starting ok up until now.
what happens is as i press the elec start button the starter doesn't engage?/ makes a phhthhh noise. luckily ive figured how to kick start the thing.
but from what 2 guys said when i was stuck at work, it could be a loose connection to the solenoid.
try to find where the solenoid is on the net but no luck. so this morn i stripped the plastics off and had a good nosy at the wiring, all looked in good shape.
put it all back together and it fired up first time on elec, tried it a few more times and was satisfied i had sorted it. so put all my tools away and went to warm it up for a ride and phhthhh :mad: bike still started on first kick tho.
forgot to say where is the solenoid..
any help is appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure about it turning but it doesnt try to start the bike. when i press the button is makes a noise and nothing happens. tho it does somtime work as normal and fire up on the elec start. then ofcourse eveything does as it should

·
Registered
681 Posts
well its a new starter and dont be saying its gonna be somthing else that gonna cost me my other arm :frown:
Like lee says sprag clutch.need to get the casing off then the flywheel. check the intermediate gear which is behind the inspection cover in front of the starter motor.
solenoid is behind airbox cover on the right hand side

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i not the best at fixing up motos gimme a bmx etc and no prob.

doubt theres anyone on these boards from sheffield as i seem to be the only sm rider. who could help us out, for some beer money ofcourse:D

what damage could happen if i carry on using the kick while waiting for a booking. and rough estimate on a price. internet has been a shitter for parts and prices lately

1 - 9 of 9 Posts