KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi KTMsville,
I'm on a bit of a mission to find out if the problem I experienced this weekend is a common fault or not.
I had six different blokes in the forest telling me that my stator had packed up when my 300EXC wouldn't start halfway through a trail ride event.

Is this a common fault?

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
I've heard of a few 690 stators packing it in over many many miles, but that is it? So they told you that, but what was the actual issue? Or you just don't know?

And welcome to the forum.

Where in Auckland are you? I need to find some riding up here :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Try kicking the engine over whilst the spark plug is grounded on the head (removed from the plug hole!) If you can see sparks then at least the part of the stator that powers up the ignition system must be OK.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 30hr 2014 exc 300 suddenly stopped sparking on a hot mx day. Stator wires burned out. Check the resistance to confirm. Mine was around 9ohms when should be about 13 from memory.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
happened on my beta 250 evo trials bike, suddenly stopped mid time trial, no spark, tracked it down to stator, sent off for rewind then all good. Bike was just under a year old, lots of power washing and not warming the bike up properly to dry the stator off was the problem on my beta, plus i suspect that the stator cover is not good at keeping water out. I always warm my ktm's up properly after washing to stop it happening to them.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
happened on my beta 250 evo trials bike, suddenly stopped mid time trial, no spark, tracked it down to stator, sent off for rewind then all good. Bike was just under a year old, lots of power washing and not warming the bike up properly to dry the stator off was the problem on my beta, plus i suspect that the stator cover is not good at keeping water out. I always warm my ktm's up properly after washing to stop it happening to them.
Beta stators go pop for fun......

Reactions: fletche36

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Beta stators go pop for fun......
Yep. My Rev3 went tits up. West Country windings checked it and sorted it out. It just rotted away in there as it was wet.

I've not heard of a KTM one burning out though? Wires wearing through though from rubbing is something I've read about though.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Mine went and I know of others going too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts