KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always thought dampers were for road riding
but my wr has a damper fitted by the previous owner who reckons it was awesome
whats the point of one off road i thought you want the steering as quick and light as possible when off road??

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dampers are for girls ;) who dont like head shakes and are scared to fall off :D (matt sits back and awaits the abuse :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
i always thought dampers were for road riding
but my wr has a damper fitted by the previous owner who reckons it was awesome
whats the point of one off road i thought you want the steering as quick and light as possible when off road??
Generally, thats right, you do.
Steering dampers on road bikes tend to damp both ways - whereas dirt bike dampers only damp away from centre (and move freely back to centre).

On a dirt bike, the damper is there to absorb sharp deflections off roots or rocks. This is usually what the high-speed damping circuit (if the damper has it) is for.

If youre riding sand ... very fast, then the slow-speed damping may also be necessary - to prevent a bit of a catastrophic tank slapper.

Sometimes of it is a matter of personal preference - and sometimes its bling - and sometimes its misused to "fix" problems that would be better fixed by suspension setup.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Do they restrict the full lock when at walking pace and trying to full lock quickly?
Depends how its been set. You typically have a knob to adjust from barely noticeable, to very noticeable damping.

Some also have an adjustable sweep - so once beyond that point (near full lock, say) it releases.

Its worthwhile pointing out that overdamping creates more problems with fatigue than it fixes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its an RTT Steering Stabilizer and I put it on the WR 450 ( my old bike ), reduces the chance of the bars being statched out of your hands with harsh deflections and allows you to ride faster due to you not having to correct your line all the time, try riding fast over rocks and you`ll see what I mean.
I have a Beta 525RR now and it has a GPR Damper on, when I ride a bike without one the steering feels too loose and unstable when riding fast, they work very well indeed.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/dirt_bikes.htm

Chris.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its an RTT Steering Stabilizer and I put it on the WR 450 ( my old bike ), reduces the chance of the bars being statched out of your hands with harsh deflections and allows you to ride faster due to you not having to correct your line all the time, try riding fast over rocks and you`ll see what I mean.
I have a Beta 525RR now and it has a GPR Damper on, when I ride a bike without one the steering feels too loose and unstable when riding fast, they work very well indeed.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/dirt_bikes.htm

Chris.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
aaah! i see so i presume higher no on the dial the more damping?

the bike is still awesome though! out yesterday laning its a right animal

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 for them.
I use a GPR4 on my 300. I agree some people go straight for a damper to fix what can sometimes be a set up issue. It depends on the terrain you ride as well as your riding style if you'll get a benifit from installing one.
They most definitley help with deflection from rocks etc and really works at speed lowering the chance of tank slapping high sides. I believe they work and help you ride harder for longer, you can adjust on the fly to the conditions and terrain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ill be turning it on this weekend then
Mate, dont forget that the dial has other settings.

On the L/H bar side next to the grip there is a rocker switch for on the fly adjustment, the beauty of the RTT is that the rocker has 3 positions, OFF-1/2-FULL.

So with the dial at say `5` and the rocker at the `FULL` position you will get full damping at that setting, switch the rocker to the 1/2 and you get half that damping effect, switch the rocker to `OFF` and there is no damping whatsoever.

This is good if you are racing and going from rocks to say sand or mud which would require different damper settings, switch it over on the fly at the rocker without having to take your hand off the bar.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

Chris.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts