KTM Owners Forum banner

221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Personally I think that you should not be filing the slides (if you still are). I have not tested a slide with the small square notch, this type of slide maybe OK but personally I think that a slide with notch notch at all seems to work best. getting rid of the filed notch cleaned up a rich burble that I had at 1/10 to 2/10's throttle opening.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Personally I think that you should not be filing the slides (if you still are). I have not tested a slide with the small square notch, this type of slide maybe OK but personally I think that a slide with notch notch at all seems to work best. getting rid of the filed notch cleaned up a rich burble that I had at 1/10 to 2/10's throttle opening.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The JD tuning kit for the STIC is highly recommended; here are the basic facts. While using the STIC metering block on a 125cc engine we have found the JD Needle selection designed specifically for the STIC metering block to offer optimum choices. As you may have learned we are now replacing the previous .114 tubes with the newer .113A.

We were previously using the Yamaha N3EJ needle with a top diameter of .1075” — this seemed to work well on most engines. The needle selection for larger diameters was limited to a Suzuki needle at .1082; however, these were hard to find and had limited availability; here is the short story; they were hard to find. STIC then designed a newer replacement STIC tube with a smaller exit diameter; this turned out to be 2.870mm (aka .113”). The new JD jetting kit for the STIC has turned out to be a blessing when jetting the STIC metering block.

These measurements are approximate:

Yamaha N3EJ (.1075”) tip (.075”)
JD Red II-II (.1072”) tip (.055”)
JD Blue IIII (.1062”) tip (.055”)

In summary, when using the .1140” tube and the N3EJ needle at .1075” with a .075” tip, the difference is .0065.” When using the new 2.870mm (.113A”) tube with the additional emulsion hole and the JD (STIC) Blue needle (.1062”) — the difference is .0068,” thus, the JD Blue Needle combination with the .113A tube and Blue (IIII) needle will flow more air and fuel than the .114 tube with the N3EJ.

In the real world where it is most important; the STIC metering block along with the JD (STIC) tuning kit is a game changer. This JD Tuning kit is STIC specific with a red and blue needle; this kit is not the same as other JD kits. Call JD or STIC for these new kits and call STIC for a free upgrade to the new 2.870mm (.113A) tube.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dear “I wish” — in checking with staff “We wish” you had not missed the first class wherein we clearly disclosed the ABC’s. In fact, it goes like this; ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ; although you have the last part correct (Zzzzzzzz); we cannot give you full credit. Further, we are disappointed that you are offended by news consisting of intellectual information.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Dear “I wish” — in checking with staff “We wish” you had not missed the first class wherein we clearly disclosed the ABC’s. In fact, it goes like this; ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ; although you have the last part correct (Zzzzzzzz); we cannot give you full credit. Further, we are disappointed that you are offended by news consisting of intellectual information.
:):):)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Old school is trying to login on UK KTM; he is a valued person and has great tuning skills; hope someone can assist him in joining UK KTM Talk he will be a valuable person with great experience. Please Contact him at [email protected]
Oldschool69, TT Newbie, Members
7 posts
Posted just now

I’ve had quite a bit of experience with the Keihin STIC that I purchased from george boswell for my 2018 KTM 300 and I have to say one of the best mods I’ve done. My mods are RK tech head, SX ignition, 38mm Keihin carb tapered bored 40mm through george boswell, with Keihin stic with 113a tube, JD red (STIC) needle 3rd clip ,190 main, 50 pilot. I’ve had every size tube that went into the STIC .015, .014, and .113a chasing good clean throttle response without loading up at idle. George stands by his product until i was happy with no charge to me trying these different tubes. Needless to say; every tube worked well, but the new 113a tube with the new JD jet kit made specifically for the STIC is amazing!!! My KTM is running better than it ever has from idle to top. The things that i noticed right off is no pipe bang, idle is almost perfect, going down a road its almost four-strokish meaning its smooth with a steady throttle input, overrev is way better then Stock, acceleration is instant no blubbering. I put a throttle tamer on it, and it makes it into a single-track monster, smooth, powerful torque. If anyone is on the fence don't hesitate you won’t be disappointed in the product or the inventor George.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks to a great number of guys that have had great input with jetting the STIC metering block with great recommendations from; James (JD jetting), Mark (TOKYO), Derek (Harris Perf), Dan, Keith (KPR Racing); Dirtbike DAD, Sam Evans, RC250, sidecarbod, sullcat, Bruce372, sand300, and many others too numerous to mention, we now have a near perfect set-up for the 125 through 500. STIC will be in a November Motocross magazine feature article as being the carburetor of choice for the Millar 500cc 2-stroke engine in a motocross bike .

https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?545649-STIC-jetting-thread/page59&highlight=STIC+metering+Block

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks to a great number of guys that have had great input with jetting the STIC metering block with great recommendations from; James (JD jetting), Mark (TOKYO), Derek (Harris Perf), Dan, Keith (KPR Racing); Dirtbike DAD, Sam Evans, RC250, sidecarbod, sullcat, Bruce372, sand300, and many others too numerous to mention, we now have a near perfect set-up for the 125 through 500. STIC will be in a November Motocross magazine feature article as being the carburetor of choice for the Millar 500cc 2-stroke engine in a motocross bike .

https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?545649-STIC-jetting-thread/page59&highlight=STIC+metering+Block
George, well done for getting the STIC block in a magazine, I'm sure that they will be blown away by the improvements that it makes to the bike that that choose to test it on, they are in for a shock! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
HOT JD STIC. Email just received from Adam Millar Race engines. Here it is with the STIC Keihin Carburetor, JD Jetting STIC Kit; prepared by Boswell; just before the 500 Millar bike it is crated up and sent to Motocross Action. Call him (Adam) for firsthand information. It is obvious that the STIC in the Millar 500 will jet the same as the 125. George

Adam Millar <[email protected]>
Tue 10/8/2019 1:14 PM

George, Here is how it went: (Millar 500cc two stroke)

113A STIC Tube
52 pilot, 200 main, (JD Red STIC II-II) needle on the top clip
4 turns of airscrew, 7 slide

It’s evil fast!
I can ride it very smooth and predictable amongst the tree rows in the yard with a 2nd gear and twice idle speed rpm and it’s super linear everywhere.
I’m extremely happy with the way it’s set up and I thought it was good before.

Here is a little clip out the lane and back, it doesn’t show you any of the slow and low throttle position, but a climb through the gears. This bike is deceivingly fast too, 14/50 sprockets and the HRC wide ratio transmission which has 4th as tall as a production bikes 5th.

Adam Millar MRE - Millar Race Engineering
P.O. Box 123723012 Hwy 14W,Winkler, MB,, Canada R6W 4B3

M (204)823-0010
Shop (204)325-9853

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seriously considering one of these, can't get my jetting perfect on the keihin and looking at a chucking money at a lectron as a last ditch effort to get a crisp, consistent running bike, maybe I'm to fussy?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Seriously considering one of these, can't get my jetting perfect on the keihin and looking at a chucking money at a lectron as a last ditch effort to get a crisp, consistent running bike, maybe I'm to fussy?
I had a Lectron (I still have it sitting on a shelf), I found that the Lectron was a good improvement over my standard 36mm carb which was jetted reasonably well. I would not say that the Lectron is plug and play, I had to spend a long time twiddling the metering rod, I even tried another rod but it wasn't any good, the rods are expensive too. I don't think that the Lectron's build quality is all that great and the idle screw adjustment design is terrible. I now run a 38mm Keihin with a STIC block and it is a big improvement over the Lectron therefore it must be a huge improvement over the standard Keihin. Really the only way to describe it is shockingly good! I warn you though, you will have to re-learn throttle control to a degree, if you just whack the throttle open from tickover you could be sitting on your ass whilst your bike is stuck up a tree! Don't let that put you off though, the STIC block is a great system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Lectron (I still have it sitting on a shelf), I found that the Lectron was a good improvement over my standard 36mm carb which was jetted reasonably well. I don't think that the Lectron's build quality is all that great and the idle screw adjustment design is terrible. I now run a 38mm Keihin with a STIC block and it is a big improvement over the Lectron therefore it must be a huge improvement over the standard Keihin. Really the only way to describe it is shockingly good! I warn you though, you will have to re-learn throttle control to a degree, if you just whack the throttle open from tickover you could be sitting on your ass whilst your bike is stuck up a tree! Don't let that put you off though, the STIC block is a great system.
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the post and noticed stic had sent you one to try, it sounds to good to be true!! Is it a "set and forget" set up or do you require changes for temps, I'm pretty consistent with elevation

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the post and noticed stic had sent you one to try, it sounds to good to be true!! Is it a "set and forget" set up or do you require changes for temps, I'm pretty consistent with elevation
I will be honest with you, it was NOT set and forget, well the 'set' bit was NOT straight forward, I had some big 'discussions' with George over many weeks because my setup was too rich at idle and at 1/10 -2/10 throttle. Having said that George has listened to his customers and has now produced a 113A tube which results in a leaner setup or at least it allows you to lean off the mixture using readily available jets and needles. I feel some or maybe all of my issue was because the 7.0 slide that I am using had been modified by having the notch at the bottom of the slide filed to a larger size. (not by me).

With regards to temp changes, well I have not had to re-jet because of any temp changes, I fitted the STIC in the middle of summer so I guess it was around 25c, and it has probably dropped to 15c now. (not much of a change). With regard to elevation well I can't really comment because I live at 71m above sea level and the highest hill that I have ridden over is 276m high, Combe Gibbet near Newbury! (no jetting change was required!)

I suspect that the STIC block is much easier to setup now compared to when I set mine up, (the slide notch was my issue and Sand300 helped me suss out that issue). People are reporting that the 113A tube and JD needles are working well, I must admit that at the moment I am still running the 114 tube along with a Suzuki needle.

I was given a STIC block and carb to try, this was very generous of George but I reckon that I've earned the carb and block now in one way or another! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
After considering the advice of many of the end-users of the STIC metering block for the Keihin Carburetor; (Mark TOKYO, sidecarbod, sand300, Harris, James, Kelsey, and many others) we have upgraded the STIC tube to 2.870mm instead of 2.900mm; this allows a better selection of needles for greater tunability. In conjunction with JD Jetting (James); there is now a new STIC JD Jetting kit that consists of two new needles for the 2.870mm STIC Tube. These new needles are made for the STIC Metering Block. There is a JD Red II-II (.1072" at the top); JD Blue IIII (.1062") both are tapered to .055" tips. This new combination allows one to jet from the 125cc to the 500cc engines. The kit also comes with jetting from 200 to 180, additional pilot, longer air screw, and a longer spring (if from STIC). Contact [email protected] for greater information. This combination results in a very clean bottom; even greater acceleration. The kit comes with full instructions for the 125 through 500; the performance results are incredible. To get one of the free upgrades you must send the metering block and or the complete carburetor for free exchange and free set-up including float level and air screw settings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dirk glad you are happy with the new set-up; call me at 715-479-7822

Dirk Macfarlane [email protected]
Sun 10/13/2019 9:11 PM
To:
[email protected]
You replied on 10/13/2019 9:39 PM.

Hi George,
I am absolutely loving the STIC with the 38 Keihin and the JD jet kit! I won my class (A 55+) at the Indiana National Enduro last weekend!

Best,
Dirk Macfarlane
Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mon 10/14/2019 8:00 PM
To:
[email protected];
Cc:
[email protected]; RK TEK Inc. [email protected] ;Dirtbike Dad [email protected]
Scott Hofmeister [email protected] ,Joe McLaughlin [email protected] ;moggy mx [email protected] [email protected]

George and other recipients,

I have an excellent tune in the CR500 engines using this same .113” A-Series tube setup on the BLUE (IIII) needle 52 pilot and 200 main jets with 4 turns of the airscrew.
Awesome parts and service George, Thanks!

Adam Millar MRE - Millar Race Engineering
P.O. Box 1237, 23012 Hwy 14W
Winkler, MB, Canada
R6W 4B3
Adam Millar [email protected]

221 - 240 of 264 Posts