KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone hears of/gets offered a White RC8 with full Akrapovic, dark screen, 3500 miles and fook-all life in the rear tyre in the near future, probably with missing/dubious docs, could you PM me... Was on a 58 plate when nicked, CU58MZ*

Sadly no other distinguishing marks (well, none when last seen) aside from some faint blue scratches on the tank pad and the inside of the rear wheel.

It was nicked last night/early this morning in central London and whilst I suspect it is probably by now in a shipping container on its way to Europe, I guess it could surface still over here.

Thanks all

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Fkin Hell man bad news

So heads up everybody wherever you are.
We are a small community. It will surface somewhere.We are all over this earth.

PLC

·
Registered
469 Posts
hey

really sorry to hear this, never good when a pikey cunt nicks your bike. Not sure if you are on facebook but there is a group called MOTORCYCLE STOLEN, you put your details in and its tells everyone in the group that this bike has been nicked. May be of help plus there is 3500 members in uk alone. Good luck though and hope the insurance pays out quick.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Out of interest, how much security did you have on it? Not trying to portion any blame to you at all. I park mine in London every day and I'm just wondering how professional your thieves were. I use an almax chain and squire padlock and feel pretty calm with it locked to a bike park railing, but I'm a little more nervous now in case you had something similar...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
almax mk3/4 chain rear and the cs squire padlock, so sounds like same, yes... front u-lock, rg cover (locked on with chain through rear and u lock through front). "if they want it, they can get it" was police response. am gutted as only had it 4 weeks - not even long enough to get a tracker fitted, though irritatingly just long enough that i managed to part with a lump of cash fpr teh 2yr extended warranty. i fcking hate thieving pikeys.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
sorry to here about that mate, nearly had mine taken last year, but the alarm scared em off. still had a bill for £6-700 for the lock set fitting which my employer kindly paid for. i am in no doubt you will see this bike either broken or sold as a race bike on the usual places at some point, it's not like a gixxer, where there are trillions of em. hope you get sorted soon mate.

·
Registered
885 Posts
almax mk3/4 chain rear and the cs squire padlock, so sounds like same, yes... front u-lock, rg cover (locked on with chain through rear and u lock through front). "if they want it, they can get it" was police response. am gutted as only had it 4 weeks - not even long enough to get a tracker fitted, though irritatingly just long enough that i managed to part with a lump of cash fpr teh 2yr extended warranty. i fcking hate thieving pikeys.
Holy shit.. They were serious then. Was it night time? Do you know how they got through the chain? I presume you had it locked to something? I had a ZX10R that was nicked a few years ago and the thieves used an angle grinder to get through the lock I was using. It was a Kryptonite disck lock that I used to secure a chain around a lampost. They went through it in less than a minute. Fuckers. I was hoping the Squire/Almax combo would put up a better fight, but I'm a little more worried now. At least mine gets parked outside a police station, here at work in central London so that might be enough to put them off.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
the problem is i suppose, if it is parked in the same place everyday, then they can plan their attack

·
Registered
885 Posts
Definitely. My ZX was parked outside in the same place every night, and they knew what they had come for. I'm still curious though to know if in this particular case, the method used to see if I need to bolster mine. Mainly, was it locked to something...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad news and hope you get some joy in getting it back, they really are low life wankers.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Sorry to hear mate. Friggin scum! Eyes/ears open etc.

If any of you regularly park in the same place, and leave your security chain locked to where you park, beware. I believe one technique is to cut most of the way through a link in the chain while your bike isn't parked there, then revisit later after you've locked it up, and quickly braking the weakened link that you wouldn't have noticed.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Sorry to hear mate. Friggin scum! Eyes/ears open etc.

If any of you regularly park in the same place, and leave your security chain locked to where you park, beware. I believe one technique is to cut most of the way through a link in the chain while your bike isn't parked there, then revisit later after you've locked it up, and quickly braking the weakened link that you wouldn't have noticed.
clever, but scum all the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few of us on the same rank lock our chains to each other as there arent any ground anchors/security devices, though i dont know the other owner(s). Last time i saw mine, the other one (SV650) was still there and joined. Havent seen it there since either. Conceivable that they either lifted both together (but that would be serious weight), or cut through the 650's chain and lifted them separate. In event Police ever find it, will post any update re: the Almax chain/how they got it. Suffice to say, Police response to date has been non-existent.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris. Sounds like perhaps they didn't break your chain then and went through someone elses.. It's a shame, isn't it, that we have to lock our possessions to something solid to guarantee they're there when we come back.. Fuckers..

Good luck, either way.. If it isn't recovered, what now?? RC8R?? There are some good used examples up for grabs from what I can see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait and see what insurance comes back with i guess. Main issue now will be new insurance premium - previous 600RR got nicked from Hanover square (work) in 2009 and although recovered had been smashed up and so insurance writeoff - and now this being taken from home address, I think I will get shafted. Got a great deal (relatively!) from MCE (RSA underwriter) on the RC8 so will have to wait and see what my options are. Possible though that the RC8-R theft record nationally will be sufficiently low that it might well be a cheaper option!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts