KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2008 black frame 950sm stolen in london yesterday - gutted is an understatement!

It's my 2nd 950sm and i love them so will be looking for a replacement - just wondered whether anyone had any suggestions (other than fit a tracker) about what to go for next? stick with a 950sm or perhaps look at a 990 (snatchy?) or even a 790? (unreliable?)

would appreciate any ideas / thoughts

If anyone has a mint low miles 950sm for sale let me know!

ta
jim

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is shit, sorry to hear about that. I've got a 990 SMT and it's not snatchy at all, but it has had the Akrapovic map put on it and I've done a couple of other bits like SAS removal.

Where was it stolen from?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stolen from back hill farringdon at 3pm yesterday - 2 white teenagers on a black scooter pulled up, ground 2 x locks off and pushed it away - police not interested as far as i can see- shared broadly online and with motorcycle recovery forums etc.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Gutted for you. Hope the little oiks come to some harm.
I suspect that sort of 950 will be very rare now.
I think later 990’s had lost the snatchiness according to the wise ones as I was looking at an SMT last month but the stepped seat and high exhaust were a wifely no-no before we even got to riding one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
stolen from back hill farringdon at 3pm yesterday - 2 white teenagers on a black scooter pulled up, ground 2 x locks off and pushed it away - police not interested as far as i can see- shared broadly online and with motorcycle recovery forums etc.
That is gutting, hopefully it turns up and it hasn't been too abused. If you can't find a decent 950 I would recommend checking out a 990, mine is great to ride, the only thing that annoys me is the slappy chain at low revs but I've learnt to ride around that mostly. Mine has a Monimoto tracker on it, they're worth a look at for whatever bike you end up with next.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's a shitter. I've ridden and owned numerous 950 and 990 bikes. Had my 990 smr stolen too.

Now on a 990 smt and it handles and zooms along the same as any SM, only has a larger tank and more versatility.

Try an SMT. Steer clear of Ducati faultistrada but maybe take a look at the Yamaha MT07 models as they're meant to be great.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Looking on ebay it looks like even high mileage 950's are commanding decent asking price. Most look to be badly blinged - look at the one with GRIZ graphics. Yeuucchh!!.

More importantly - bad news on the bike. Hope it turns up and hasn't been trashed. You can't have anything anymore without some chavvy cnut taking it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers for the comments - any more?

going to see if i can get a test ride on a 990 smt and then will likely go for one of those (posted an ad in wanted section) - let me have any other suggestions or tips and ticks / things to look for on the SMT

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
The smt is the better option. Mines a 12 sold in 13. Snatchy to start with but I had Bsd in Peterborough remap it . Ignore the suspension settings roughly sports rebound and comfort comp and it will be nearly there. Mine has a gel /Ergo seat , all day comfy. Shame you need a replacement now as mine will be on the market in March ( going back to my 950 adv).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The smt is the better option. Mines a 12 sold in 13. Snatchy to start with but I had Bsd in Peterborough remap it . Ignore the suspension settings roughly sports rebound and comfort comp and it will be nearly there. Mine has a gel /Ergo seat , all day comfy. Shame you need a replacement now as mine will be on the market in March ( going back to my 950 adv).
tell me more - i could wait till march maybe for the right bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts