KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you're thinking why not buy a cheaper bigger bike and get a better resale on your DUKE 125? But I'm an engineer so I can't resist :p

First off I was thinking of buying a used small diesel turbo. Then disassembling, removing the turbine. I would then be able to power the shaft and effectively have a supercharger. (A turbo would require a custom exhaust and, they're not very effective with the fluctuating 1 piston exhaust)

Then there are two options;

1) Power the 'supercharger' shaft from the engines drive shaft. By using a bicycle sprocket directly connected to the engine's drive shaft, then a bicycle chain to the 'supercharger' which would have a second bicycle sprocket. This would allow for the require gear ration between the two. -The only problem with this idea is that I'm not sure how the drive shaft could connect to the first sprocket. As it is hidden behind the engine casing. Or perhaps connect it off the alternator...I'm not very familiar with motorcycle engines.

2) Power the turbine off a RC car electric motor, this will give the required high speed needed for the turbo. -Problems here include controlling the motor speed with respect to the engine speed. Perhaps a connection to the engine speed sensor would help out. Another problem is the motor power drawn.

Obviously I'll need a re-map after the build but I have the facilities at work for this. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
How are you going to get the turbo shaft spinning at 80,000 to 100,000 rpm? You'll also need enough oil pressure to keep the turbo bearings lubricated and floating.

Nitrous would be far simpler.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
go for it...............

with out the odd "fruit loop" the world would be a much more boring place.....:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
...I'm not very familiar with motorcycle engines.

Malcom campell was familiar with fast boats and look what happened to him. Sinclair was not familiar with urban transport and look what he produced.

Go for it and let us see the results

·
Registered
853 Posts
electric supercharger... haha yeah right have a google search before thinging of that, its right up there along with snake oil and instant 500hp gain stickers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motorcycles are much easier and probably cheaper than girlfriends. Think I'll stick to bikes :p.

A few problems with my idea;
1) I didn't realise how short of space I was on the bike.
2) The alternator is obstructed by the chassis.
3) The compression Ratio is already 12.5. A 0.5bar boost would put that up to 18.75...and thats probably going to cause knocking even with 100 RON. And most turbo I'll find would be too big anyway...

I think I'll attempt a remap next week. Apparently it'll be good for 18hp 3 more than standard. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts