KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm hoping you guys would be able to help me with a little dilemma.

I currently have a zx6r but was looking to move up to something bigger in the next few months and make a trip through france.

Since I made the plan to take this trip my girlfriend has said she'd like to come too (which is great btw) but has left me in a bit of a pickle...

I really want a superduke but as I want her to enjoy it as much as I would I don't think that's the bike for me/us anymore... Or is it?

I don't want to go for an all out adventure machine as I'm not ready for that yet, basically here is a list of things I'd want from the bike

I'm 5'9/10 and 11 stone, she's 5'7 and maybe 8 stone..

Comfortable for 2 up
Has capacity to add luggage, i would like a top box for her to be able to lean back on it and panniers, even if its just throw over soft panniers

Now I'm aware there's a whole heap of bikes out there capable of this but the list continues..

I still want to have something that's fun when we return from the trip, I'm not into track days but I would like something that'll still scare me a bit and get me laughing and the occasional weekend away (not huge mileage tho)

So far The 990 sm has capability to add full luggage and seems an absolute hoot but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions or even opinions on the 990sm (not the sm t version)

Would be keen to hear if you've made long distance 2 up trips on a sd or sm

I've tried the zzr14 and it was just too big, the k1200s seemed nice enough but didn't wow me which made me realise those hyper sports tourers aren't for me.

I'm aware I may have to compromise on a few things as the more I look into this the more impossible I'm finding it.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated and help me get my evenings back rather than trawling through forums (like I have been doing for last 3 weeks)

Thanks again

Drew

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know you said no to SM-T, and I also thought it was a slaggish touring softy bike, but when I rode it, it was like a SM with wind protection :D

Friend who didnt like KTMs was looking at the Tiger 1050, but when he rode the SM-T he bought it next week

Try before you buy :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
As your probably already aware you really are asking how long is a piece of string,the days of the great alround bike are long gone,over the years I've travelled Europe a lot!!,that bike that runs great in the Alps is a ball ache when you have stayed a day too long and need to get home quick and that means sitting on some auto route at high speed,a twin of any discribtion will do your head in comparison to a triple or a 4cyl.

If it's going to be a twin then really it's an SMT,a Multistrada is silly money,or like the man said Fazer thou,but I'd look at the earlier version it's a better bike than the flat bar FZ1,you've had a lucky escape wth the K1200,I own one and their not your normal bike when it comes to ownership you need deep pockets I can tell you.

The big thing with looking at bikes for two up long distance is the seat,most long distance stuff I/we do is on a much modified 955 Tiger,but the 1050 is a joke cuz the pillion seat is so high,not very funny for the poor bugger on the back at 100+,hence why they've lowered the new Sport Tiger,to get it close to what you really want like the SMT seat!!!.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Mr Pope (off here) went to Austria 2 up in his 950sm.......
and he is about 12foot tall and a fat cnut....... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts