KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

EXC-R Sump plug bolt is burred and wont take a spanner or a socket.

How do I get it out without knackering the engine casings?

Bloody dealer left it overtightened and part rounded off!!

Any help gratefully accepted.

Stoaty

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Try a metrinch spanner first sometimes they will grip where others wont. other than that its file,beat a socket on or cut a slot. after that it all gets a bit serious.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an awkward bugger to get at as well. They sit side by side on this model tucked in by the frame cross member, so its really hard to get any decent leverage or access with a hammer to shock the bolt. I have got a special remover tool available to me, but it involves drilling the bolt and tapping a reverse thread apparently - that worries me slightly as too much could go wrong (in my hands). The dealer did leave it burred and I put a snap-on ring spanner on it which I've always used on my KTM, but this one was really tight and just rounded off more.

Any other answers before I cut a slot in it?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i have an engineering shop and have done several engines with the same issue .....takes about an hours tops and is quite straight forward...is you get stuck please feel free to send to me and i can get it out with no damage to cases....pm me if you need help...ta matt

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Use a 1/2" AF ring spanner, its just a bit smaller and you should be able to tap it on.

But do it with a hot motor so the fit is looser and do it with the bike laid on its side.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It sounds like your describing an "easy-out" which you will have to drill the bolt, if you have access to drill it the you have access to tap a 6-sided socket on! If the thing is rounded then its tight, hacksawing a slot for a screwdriver is pointless.

Try an imperial size spanner as Kev suggests, 1/2" is 12.7mm. A 6-sided one would be best!

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The slot would be for an impact driver and I have cut one with a mini grinder before,access permitting I suppose. Bit of a knack to impact drivers too,you can make one hell of a mess with one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We finally had it out with a large hammer and a chisel. The Irwin tool wouldn't grip it - but with it lying on its side a couple of good clouts with the chisel angled across it shocked it sufficiently to shift it.

Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We finally had it out with a large hammer and a chisel. The Irwin tool wouldn't grip it - but with it lying on its side a couple of good clouts with the chisel angled across it shocked it sufficiently to shift it.

Thanks for the help fellas.
where would we be without a chisel and hammer in the workshop :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
They are really Shite` I agree. maybe KTM should take a look at them and make them in future a little more serviceable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts