KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
18,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Fuckin'ell! That's crazy! Full on mission. Absolutely screwed if something goes wrong. How's the money involved 😫
Looks amazing though, beautiful place. Good work

I can't get sound on your video, but I hope you have sunscreen on. 😫😂

·
Registered
18,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Yep that'll do it!
The new R is super low.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle
Font Technology Automotive tire Audio equipment Tree

I might try this for touring only. I'll take the beating the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
1,040 Posts
I spaced the standard screen outwards to allow more air to get behind it. Something like 20 mm at the bottom and 30 mm at the top, thus making it more upright as well. Then fitted the MRA touring spoiler.

View attachment 41281

View attachment 41282
I did the same thing when I fitted the SA-T screen to mine. Used longer screws and packed the screen off the brackets about 10 mm using a sandwich of stainless and rubber washers. Definitely made a difference. I think the vents in the top edge of the screen helps as well. Similar effect to a spoiler.

The excellent Palmer screen for the 990 SMT works in the same way, by allowing a small amount of air underneath the screen to balance out the air pressure either side of it preventing a vortex forming at the top right in front of the rider's head. It's a great pity the SMT is the only KTM model Palmer make a screen for. It's a really good product and by far the best aftermarket screen I've ever used.
KTM have form for terrible screens. Maybe if someone offered Palmer Products their bike as a mule they'd develop one for the latest adventures.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Maybe if someone offered Palmer Products their bike as a mule they'd develop one for the latest adventures.
I hadn't heard of Palmer before but just looking at their screens and brackets now they seem very similar to Madstad.
I looked at the Palmer offering for the Vstrom 650 and their bracket system looks identical to the Madstad bracket I bought for mine, and it worked extremely well.

Only problem you have when you start stepping the screen out is headlight reflection at night. I had to make up some louvres on mine to stop that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It’s not exactly straightforward tbh mate, and rules are different depending on where you go. This trip will have cost an additional £700 (approx) for the 4 of us in tests/monitoring etc by the time we get home.
Adults had to be double-jabbed at least 14 days before travel (free on the NHS). All travellers had to have a professionally administered PCR test less than 3 days before travelling (£260ish) - if anyone failed this then the holiday would be essentially canned as we are a ‘bubble’ and would all have to self-isolate at home together for 10 days (so the money spent on the holiday would be lost with the exception of flights, as Virgin allow you to move these foc anytime before check-in).
On landing there is another professionally-administered PCR test done at the airport (foc), then you have to get a special COVID taxi to your COVID approved accommodation and pay for COVID cctv monitoring (to make sure you stay at home) until the airport test results are received. Total cost of this was around US$500 (including the uplift in accommodation cost to stay in a COVID approved villa). If anyone tests positive then they are taken to a government run COVID facility (an old prison apparently) for 10 days - I’m not sure if that would incur any costs but it would obviously cock-up the holiday (we all tested negative fortunately!).
Once signed off as clear from the airport tests (less than 24 hours - very well organised) then you can get on with life and enjoy your holiday unencumbered - face masks are mandatory everywhere public but not on the beach, which we’ve become used to in the UK so is no big deal.
Before leaving you have to have another pre-flight test (US$200), and then get tested again in the UK within 48 hours (£240ish I think, I need to get those booked though). There is some serious money being made out of testing at the moment!…
It’s well worth it when the sea is like this though!
Where is this Dan? Looks great but no way I’d be doing all that messing about.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Where is this Dan? Looks great but no way I’d be doing all that messing about.
Barbados.
Tbh I was resigned to knocking it on the head this year but we ended up with a great deal on flights and decided to go for it. Glad we did as it’s superb (and we really really needed a family holiday!).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It looks amazing. How's the food, accommodation, locals and prices etc ?
All good - it’s an expensive place all round but really friendly and safe. There’s an incredible disparity between unbelievable, obscene wealth (a property currently for sale here for US$40 million, loads of places over US$5 million) and very real poverty. I genuinely don’t know how a lot of people afford to live as food in the supermarkets is considerably more expensive than the UK, but there is a vast swathe of the population apparently earning very little money living in extremely basic wooden shacks. I’ll try and get some pics today and report back (to try and get this thread a bit further off course!).

·
Registered
18,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
At least these fit from my SDR. But that's it.
Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Carbon
Bicycle Bicycle frame Crankset Wheel Bicycle tire

Not so lucky with this side. But the clutch is a lighter pull. So that's a bonus, in particular off road,

Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

81 - 100 of 159 Posts