KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just get my SAS 2020

I do have 1 question regarding speed

I was going for a ride with the KTM side and top case empty.
When I reach 160 km/h (100 mph) the front wheel come really light and wobble a lot.

I did not have the time to try without the cases.

Does some Super adventure 1290 s people here have above then 160 km/h (100mph) a straight easy ride?

My bike only have 200km
Dealer and KTM says I should not go faster then 150 km/h with cases....

Thanks in advance

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse
I would Take them off if you not using them.
Aerodynamics my friend, the air is forcing your rear end down (drag) as they are sticking out so much,and making your front end light, hence the wobble.
Happens on most Adv bikes.
When fully loaded, you will have to adjust the suspension, so the front has more weight on it, (rear preload) but I expect it's all automatic on yours. If it is automatically adjustable RTFM!
Good luck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse
I would Take them off if you not using them.
Aerodynamics my friend, the air is forcing your rear end down (drag) as they are sticking out so much,and making your front end light, hence the wobble.
Happens on most Adv bikes.
When fully loaded, you will have to adjust the suspension, so the front has more weight on it, (rear preload) but I expect it's all automatic on yours. If it is automatically adjustable RTFM!
Good luck.

I agree with Double L. You can get your dealer to put more preload on the base setting of the shock, you need the computer to do it on the S if you’re heavy, then use the preload settings in the menu on bike. I ended up fitting a stronger spring and it was stable up to 130 mph with the panniers before it started getting lively

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have huge metal panniers for touring with the Mrs (She has her own bike so I only ride one-up) on my old 1190S on the Autobahn (yes, really, and not my private one just up the road) I found it would weave a bit just past 100mph - but was riding in comfort (always do on motorways). Changing to Street allowed me to get to @115 before it started to feel a bit weavy again, and sport cured it - then ran up to about 120 no problem, and not happy going much faster than that with huge panniers as the forces on them must be pretty serious.

On the 1290 I have not noticed any problems even in comfort, but not sure how fast I have gone on it with the panniers, only done one tour with big panniers and it did not involve "Much" Autobahn, I would of briefly exceeded 100mph a few times on the short stretches of French Autobahn I was riding on ;-) and never noticed any misbehavior.

I would suggest checking head races, tyre pressures and wheel alignment, and also try different damping / load settings, so if you have the issue in 1-up & luggage preload try again on all 3 damping modes, then switch to 2-up to see if it is better (again all 3 damping modes) and again with just solo selected (All 3 damping modes)

If it is related to pre-load it can be altered by the dealer to a certain extent.

Also make sure your not clinging on to the bars really tight, unlikely at 100 mph, but towards flat out with the stock screen you could find your holding the bars way to tight to overcome the wind and upsetting the front end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes few guys suggest to check with 2 up +luggage and see how it goes

If it's much better that way I can go at the ktm dealer and ask to put more preload? They will be willing to do it?

I'm 200lbs and 5'11" and yes the creen was totally up
The case was empty
And if I remember I was on 1 up and street mode

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Saw some info on ADV Rider about this preload adjustment, they have 11mm total to play with (which is not much compared to conventional suspension on most bikes)

I understand solo is set to 0 (i.e. minimum) and can therefore not be slackened off, but can be increased, 2-up plus luggage is set to 11 (i.e. Max = approx 11mm extra reload)

The other 2 settings are somewhere in between (not sure exactly where) and can therefor be both increased and decreased slightly.

This means you can get them to make it stiffer (increase the number) if you find 2-up or 2-up +Luggage better for you than 1-up and luggage.

In My View its still quite shit as someone quite light cannot reduce the solo sag to suit, and someone heavier might be stuffed at adding enough preload for when they are two up.

I don't know why KTM did not give a user "trim" for each setting. For example with they could of used the current four settings with a +1 / +2 / -1 / -2 option for each setting.

My bugbear is we are not all exactly the same weight as the KTM test rider, and I sometimes ride with a small amount of luggage (solo weekend trip) or a load of it (two week tour with Mrs) or on a smooth, fast winding road I might prefer some extra ride height, but on a bumpy back lane would prefer a bit more sag.

Considering how easy it would be to put the dealer trim function into user software (and many competitors do exactly that) it is appalling KTM don't offer this on such a "premium" motorcycle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm fully agree on the setting side
It's all computer so they should be able to do that

On mother topic
I have the ktm cases and with my "light front wheel at 160km/h"

I was wondering if someone with aftermarket ( sw-motech or other grand) if they have the same issue

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm fully agree on the setting side
It's all computer so they should be able to do that

On mother topic
I have the ktm cases and with my "light front wheel at 160km/h"

I was wondering if someone with aftermarket ( sw-motech or other grand) if they have the same issue

I’m sure it’ll be the same irrespective of the brand of pannier, they’re all big lumps stuck in the wind

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok just come back from few test
Everything goes very well now.... After tight a bit the sterling bearing like lots of you suggest first

So now preload set at 1 up and suspension set ant comfort and 13lbs in each cases (40lbs total)
The bike run perfectly up too 200km/h ( 120mph)
Yes it's windy and a little shaky there is a wobbling but it's very understandanle now

What a change....

I will be sure to mention that to KTM when they will call me.. Again Tuesday

Thanks all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding now the high speed wobbling on a SAS

Now that the steering bearing have been tight

Does the high speed wobble can be fix by :
Higher weight oil ont he oem steering damper
Or
Change it for a better quality one like the HyperPro RSC

Or any other good suggestions?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think you need to set the bike up properly, weight on front and rear. Whenever I get a new bike, this is what i do. Levers set to my preferred angle, weight transfer front and rear etc. I expect you may need some tech help, seeing as it's all on the computer etc.
Good luck. What may work for someone, won't work for you

·
Registered
945 Posts
Regarding now the high speed wobbling on a SAS

Now that the steering bearing have been tight

Does the high speed wobble can be fix by :
Higher weight oil ont he oem steering damper
Or
Change it for a better quality one like the HyperPro RSC

Or any other good suggestions?

I fitted the Hyper Pro steering damper, it’s better, adjustable and more reactive but didn’t make any difference to my safe top speed with the panniers

·
Registered
945 Posts
As Double L said, get it set up spring wise and preload for your weight, that made the biggest difference for me at all speeds

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A full tank might help. My '13 GSA with a low tank and panniers could be quite lively if pushing on..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The gas tank was 3/4 full

I try with the preload at 2up + luggage and sport suspension and there was little better.. Little. And gain some km/h too but from 1up to. 2up+luggage it's not a huge differences

So do I need to come at the conclusion that it's not suspension adjustment related?

Just saying

1 - 15 of 15 Posts