KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being slightly short I struggle to reach the floor on a standard EXC. My 17 seems even taller that the previous bike. I had in the past lowered my EXC but I think the handling was affected. Based on previous experience I had decided not to go down the route of lowering and fit a Power Parts low seat but this only gives you about 20mm off.

Most of of the time I'm trail riding so this is all good but if I'm messing around doing tight turns, figure 8's, just having a bit of slow speed practice the bike is still too tall if I need to put a foot down. So the answer is the Super Low BDA Training seat.

This seat is not for the faint hearted and not for a long trail ride as you will most definitely have monkey butt, but for training when you need to get a foot down or when your mostly standing it's perfect.

Standard seat foam height 80mm
PowerParts seat foam height 60mm
BDA Super Low seat foam height 20mm

Orders now being taken.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I cut the seat down on my old 300, marker pen and bread knife. Came in handy when I was riding the extreme stuff, I love a dab me!!.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
And I use a tall seat :p

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
ADZ .... how tall are you? that seat looks like the work of a trained sculptor ..... but its giving me pain just by looking at it ;-]

·
Premium Member
9,291 Posts
I did see you 'hop' onto your 350 at Essex and it made me chuckle :)

...then my bike broke :(
I am 6ft 2 but have to 'hop' onto my exc ....... but I am a crakey old git (crakey - old devonshire description of a partially imobile old git)

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 5'8" with 29" inside leg. Going to test it later today.

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
Makes it really hard work to transition from sitting to standing, after a while you will notice it......... not that you will want to do much sitting on that seat!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Took my 350 to Fast Eddy yesterday after spending 12 months riding the little Honda. It was horrible, way too big for me (or I'm too small). Trail riding I can just about get away with it, but on the track I felt extremely limited. For me, the only way to make it any better would be the power parts low kit, even then it still might be too big for tight stuff. I think I might have to sell it. Good luck with yours.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took my 350 to Fast Eddy yesterday after spending 12 months riding the little Honda. It was horrible, way too big for me (or I'm too small). Trail riding I can just about get away with it, but on the track I felt extremely limited. For me, the only way to make it any better would be the power parts low kit, even then it still might be too big for tight stuff. I think I might have to sell it. Good luck with yours.
Is the PP lowering kit a self install job or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The lowering kit for the 2015 is a shock rebuild job to fit the spacer, you can probably do the forks yourself. Lowers the bike by 50mm apparently. I had a sit on stumos 17 300 that had been lowered, although I'm sure he said it was just 20mm, that definitely felt better. Might be worth having a word with him.
The power parts low kit for mine is 350 quid including springs front and rear and a shorter side stand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had Pro Racing fit a shorter shaft to my shock (2013 exc). I dropped the forks through the clamps ~5mm below the bottom line. I wound the rider sag up on the shock so it is a touch less than the manual specification. It's great on the lanes, really stable. I'll have to get to a practice day and see how it feels on a track. I'm 5'9" and the height feels right now, was much too tall as standard.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm 6ft and had my shock lowered by LeoTech. Has made the bike better handling and made the bike easier to manoeuvre when you need to put a foot down.

I cut down my old 250 seat and what KevInYorks said is true, eventually going from sitting to standing will tire you.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
My mate is about 5' 7" and rides a CR500E, kickstarter and all.
To be fair, the old cr500 is probably lower than a new ktm, also riding mx isn't as important to be able to get a foot planted if that's what he does. I ride a bike that's too tall for me, but trail riding it's not a problem, chucking it around a tight enduro lap wasn't fun though.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: spud1968
1 - 20 of 37 Posts