KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking at changing my 2001 929 Fireblade with a few go faster mods to a Superduke, anyone else done similiar bike change?
Should be test riding one this week, any buying advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
the 9000 mile service will set you back about £500, so check the service history to make sure its been done if anywhere near that mileage.
If you sometimes get a loud 'oribble metallic clanking sound on startup, (only occasionally) the torque limiter mod / recall may not have been done.
If it needs done KTM will supply the parts and your dealer should do the work, but you will be charged about an hours labour.
If it comes with Akra's that will save you about £500. Make sure it has been re-mapped to suit. (and get the baffles too!) Check the Y-piece on the link pipe, the newer ones have a wee strengthening web welded there. Older ones didn't have this, and tended to crack.
Usual signs of crash damage/track use (not that this should put you off, but be aware of it so as to bargain on the strength of it.)
Oh, and check the head and front wheel bearings!!! :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
the 9000 mile service will set you back about £500, so check the service history to make sure its been done if anywhere near that mileage.
If you sometimes get a loud 'oribble metallic clanking sound on startup, (only occasionally) the torque limiter mod / recall may not have been done.
If it needs done KTM will supply the parts and your dealer should do the work, but you will be charged about an hours labour.
If it comes with Akra's that will save you about £500. Make sure it has been re-mapped to suit. (and get the baffles too!) Check the Y-piece on the link pipe, the newer ones have a wee strengthening web welded there. Older ones didn't have this, and tended to crack.
Usual signs of crash damage/track use (not that this should put you off, but be aware of it so as to bargain on the strength of it.)
KTM would not do my starter clutch cost me over £200

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that 9000 mile service sounds expensive! gessing its valve clearance's,plugs etc?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thinking of going the other way....\having second thoughts

never had a sports bike before, always had nakeds and currently on 07 superduke. i have got it in my head i wanted a change so put it on Thief bay & sold.
i was not sure what i wanted so i took out an R1 demo out today, well there is no disputing the power although where you could use it is beyond me. the other thing is the dealer would only give it me for an hour but that was long enough by the time i got back my wrists back and neck were aching.
im beginning to wonder if i have done the right thing:wanker:

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
never had a sports bike before, always had nakeds and currently on 07 superduke. i have got it in my head i wanted a change so put it on Thief bay & sold.
i was not sure what i wanted so i took out an R1 demo out today, well there is no disputing the power although where you could use it is beyond me. the other thing is the dealer would only give it me for an hour but that was long enough by the time i got back my wrists back and neck were aching.
im beginning to wonder if i have done the right thing:wanker:
Try the new Gixer thou. Demo'ed one and it is simply stunning.
long gone are the days of cumbersome sportsbikes,it was tiny and had an incredible amount of power even down at the bottom of the rev range.Shame I aint got 10K burning a hole in my pocket :frown:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts