KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may recall that back in 2014 I designed and made a number of grab rails for the SD 990 (2005-2012). A few of you guys on this forum bought them, and others sold as far away as Australia. Well, I've finished my latest project, which was to design a grab rail and a topbox mount for the 1290 SuperdukeR (2017 -19). It was kickstarted by a request from a friend who has a 2019 model. He rides with his wife as pillion on occasion and tours solo around Europe on it, so needed a grab rail and a mounting kit for his Givi topbox. The topbox mount accommodates various Givi Monokey and Monolock plates as well as the Givi bag holder. He doesn't tour two up so wanted the topbox to sit over the seat hump to keep the weight over the rear axle for better handling loaded up. Take a look at the pics below.

I've now designed a MK2 version of both the rail and the topbox mount (but haven't got any made up yet). For the MK 2, the rail is lower by 10mm and moves backwards about 25mm or so and the revised topbox mount has a slightly improved overall shape and moves the topbox plates back about 50mm which is a better set up (see last pic). The photos are of the MK1 versions, but give you a good idea of how they will look on the bike. They have various Delrin spacers and steel tophat spacers to fit the bike's frame mounting points, with no mods to the bike being required. The topbox mount accommodates the KTM pillion seat hump/cover and allows for its removal while in place.

They will both fit the 2017 - 2019 models with and retain the small rear subframe panels either side of the tail light. They also fit the 2014 -16 model (the pics are of my 2016 model) but the side panels would need to be removed, though you could always fit the 2017-19 small panels that abut the tail light I guess.

I'm planning on making ten sets off each shortly, powder coated in satin black.

The grab rail kit will £105 plus postage and the topbox mount kit will be £60 plus postage. If anyone's interested in the grab rail or topbox mount, feel free to PM me.

Mk2 Topbox Mount

·
Registered
47 Posts
You may recall that back in 2014 I designed and made a number of grab rails for the SD 990 (2005-2012). A few of you guys on this forum bought them, and others sold as far away as Australia. Well, I've finished my latest project, which was to design a grab rail and a topbox mount for the 1290 SuperdukeR (2017 -19). It was kickstarted by a request from a friend who has a 2019 model. He rides with his wife as pillion on occasion and tours solo around Europe on it, so needed a grab rail and a mounting kit for his Givi topbox. The topbox mount accommodates various Givi Monokey and Monolock plates as well as the Givi bag holder. He doesn't tour two up so wanted the topbox to sit over the seat hump to keep the weight over the rear axle for better handling loaded up. Take a look at the pics below.

I've now designed a MK2 version of both the rail and the topbox mount (but haven't got any made up yet). For the MK 2, the rail is lower by 10mm and moves backwards about 25mm or so and the revised topbox mount has a slightly improved overall shape and moves the topbox plates back about 50mm which is a better set up (see last pic). The photos are of the MK1 versions, but give you a good idea of how they will look on the bike. They have various Delrin spacers and steel tophat spacers to fit the bike's frame mounting points, with no mods to the bike being required. The topbox mount accommodates the KTM pillion seat hump/cover and allows for its removal while in place.

They will both fit the 2017 - 2019 models with and retain the small rear subframe panels either side of the tail light. They also fit the 2014 -16 model (the pics are of my 2016 model) but the side panels would need to be removed, though you could always fit the 2017-19 small panels that abut the tail light I guess.

I'm planning on making ten sets off each shortly, powder coated in satin black.

The grab rail kit will £105 plus postage and the topbox mount kit will be £60 plus postage. If anyone's interested in the grab rail or topbox mount, feel free to PM me.

View attachment 32251 View attachment 32252 View attachment 32253 View attachment 32254

View attachment 32255
Mk2 Topbox Mount
Hi , Can you remove the rear seat hump as I have replaced the rear seat with the brackets in place?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , Can you remove the rear seat hump as I have replaced the rear seat with the brackets in place?
Yes, the seat and the seat hump can both be removed while the topbox mount/grab rail are in place.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Been making my own rack this week. If I’d known you were doing these I might not have bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,
Finally got around to finishing a small number of grab rails and topbox mounts. Both have been slightly modofied, following test fitting (see pics below). As mentioned before, they fit straight onto the 17-19 SDR without any mods to the bike and will fit the 14-16 models provided the rear small bodywork panels are removed.
They are offered to forum members at the following prices plus £8 postage and packing (Hermes tracked):
Grab rail: £105
Topbox Mount: £60

Message me if you're interested in one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys,
Finally got around to finishing a small number of grab rails and topbox mounts. Both have been slightly modofied, following test fitting (see pics below). As mentioned before, they fit straight onto the 17-19 SDR without any mods to the bike and will fit the 14-16 models provided the rear small bodywork panels are removed.
They are offered to forum members at the following prices plus £8 postage and packing (Hermes tracked):
Grab rail: £105
Topbox Mount: £60

Message me if you're interested in one.

View attachment 32683
View attachment 32684
View attachment 32685
View attachment 32686
View attachment 32687
View attachment 32688

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comment InfiniteCharlie. The seat was reupholstered by Bootleg Bike Seats in Preston. I've used them for years, for all my bike seats. They do a first class job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,
i've been asked several times if the grab rail and the topbox mounting kits require the removal of the small plastic panels each side of the tail light. I can see why this question is being asked, as the photos suggest this. However, the photos are of my 2016 SD1290 which needs the much bigger side panels removing. This isn't the case for the 17-19 models which nees nothing removing from the bike to accommodate the two items. Just thought I would clarify.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of these for my 2017 SDR and it fitted perfectly. Half an hour and it's good to go. It even looks like a factory fit as it matches the rear frame tubing (some after market grab rails look like a proper add on). I don't know why Ktm never made a grab rail but I/ my girlfriend are made up with this. I really appreciate being able to get one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Gingibill,
Glad you're happy with the grab rail and thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I designed the rail to compliment the bike, so it wouldn't detract from the look of the bike. Looks like it worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts