KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
I chose the Motohooligan, beautiful billet box and billet stacks & K&N v Foam and plastic. Gains pretty much the same Rotty more peak bhp Moto better mid range but minimal really 2-3 hp in each instance, but I wanted more mid, plus you just feel like you are getting better value from the Motohooligan

·
Administrator
9,160 Posts
Assume both of these need a remap?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Prefer the Motohooligan, bought it off KTMMarky, machined from billet aluminium then anodised Black, a lot of effort go's into machining the air box and it uses a K & N filter which I prefer over foam, quality bit of kit.
Run it with the Rapidbike Evo with the autotune to correct the Air Fuel ratio, runs nice alongside the full Akra exhaust and map

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a DNA billet for my SMT. Similar to the Moto but the stage 3 DNA had more filter area across the top as well as the sides. Servicing is easier.
Moto is cheaper.

I take it I don't need to buy anything but the box and the stacks? I already have the full system SAS blanks etc and I'll be getting it dynoed, either PCV and ignition module or custom map.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I had the Rottweiller on my 990 and Motohooligan on my MKI which repoman now has.

The Motohooligan is a nicer engineered and machined from billet thing of beauty - as are the intake trumpets too with a gorgeous K&N filter. the Rotty is more plastic and sponge, but ultimately the end result is much the same.

The Motohooligan you need to buy direct from the USA and the Rotty I think is easier and UK stocked.

Rotty ought to be cheaper just by manufacturing methods and not having to import (addc.20% import duties I recall).

·
Registered
472 Posts
I’m liking the look of the Motohooligan air filter kit. There’s a lot of options on different stages and extras with the Rottweiler one, bit confusing. So what is actually needed for the full or best set up?

I know so far...

Rotty or Moto air filter kit.
Full exhaust system or decat.
Sas blanking covers x2.
Custom map or Pcv fuel and ignition modules and map.

What about O2 sensor delete plugs? And what’s this carbon canister thing? What’s to be done with that? I see on the Rotty site they have a part to sort that out.....anything else to know about?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’m liking the look of the Motohooligan air filter kit. There’s a lot of options on different stages and extras with the Rottweiler one, bit confusing. So what is actually needed for the full or best set up?

I know so far...

Sas blanking covers x2.

What about O2 sensor delete plugs? And what’s this carbon canister thing? What’s to be done with that? I see on the Rotty site they have a part to sort that out.....anything else to know about?
I removed the carbon canister from my GT (nothing else done from the above) purely to make more room under the seat for puncture repair kit etc. It's easily done but you do require a "dongle" got mine off fleecebay for about 15 quid I think. Pretty much all it does is recirculate any fuel from the overflow pipe back into the system. See Rottweiler SAS removal vid on youtube it goes through removing the canister too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTcjSWy8D0

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I know so far...

Sas blanking covers x2.

I've settled on the motohooligan. I started out with a Rotty on my SMT and I thought it was very overpriced for what it was. There's not much engineering in it and I couldn't see where they got the price from. Worked well enough but servicing was a bit of a shag and if it wasn't oiled in exactly the same way every time it sounded different so in a fit of extravagance I sold it and bought a stage 3 DNA which was even dearer but it was a thing of absolute beauty and cleaning and servicing was a doddle. I always felt it sounded slightly less raspy and harsh than the Rotty as well. So on that experience I think the Moto is the one to go for with the 1290.

As far as I can see, all I need on my mk 1 SDR is the airbox and the intakes. Unsure yet whether I'll go the PCV route or get a custom map, but if it is PCV I can't see the point of buying the devices through motohooligan and paying extra for shipping and import duties when they're readily available over here. Just the box and stacks for me then decide who to take it to.

Dave Woods racing says they can be custom mapped but as I've sent two email enquiries and never had a reply I'm looking elsewhere. Wazza's P3 boys have the experience with 1290s so I'll probably have a chat with them. Does mean vanning it up to Liverpool though, which is a long way and I'll probably be murdered and have my spare wheel stolen.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Motohooligan the way to go then. Also previously been said on here to have a good intake roar so another plus.

So sas system off with blanks and a plug/dongle. Same with carbon canister. Do you still need plugs/dongles for the O2 sensor/s then?

As far as mapping goes, these guys have been mentioned on here, not sure if those who have used them have had custom maps or just this special software put in to the ecu?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT2t2mtecUY&feature=share

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think you can tune cylinders individually with a PC. A custom map isn't a custom map IMO unless they do.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Ok cool.
When they do a custom map, they aren’t adding any other device? They are tuning the ECU, and can map each cylinder individually?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think you can tune cylinders individually with a PC. A custom map isn't a custom map IMO unless they do.
Dynojet say Pcv will allow seperate maps for each cylinder and each gear. Just a pain the sdr Pcv only does fuel so you have to buy a fuel and ignition module too. My smcr Pcv does fuel and ignition.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok cool.
When they do a custom map, they aren’t adding any other device? They are tuning the ECU, and can map each cylinder individually?
Yes. At least they can if they've completely cracked the ECU. That was certainly the case with my Ducati and the 990 SMT I've had remapped. The guy who did the Ducati used a huge number of datum points. It took him all day and wasn't cheap but it was worth it. But that's a 2010 bike that is now decidedly old-school in electronic terms. He could basically pull every parameter apart and rewrite the ECU if he wanted. I'm still unsure to what extent that's possible with my 2016 SDR.

Having said that, the starting point with the SDR, once you eliminate the politically inspired emissions control shit, is streets ahead of the Ducati. Testastretta Duc engines have a huge margin for improvement and on mine the two cylinders were wildly out of sync. I don't think that's the case with even gen 1 Superdukes.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
I think I’d go a an airbox, exhaust and PC. The piggy back method doesn’t sound as complicated and risky.
I don’t think Id trust anyone to fully get into the ECU, and change everything. I guess there’s a risk of fuck ups. And as you say the fueling is so good stock it only needs a tweak. I don’t need a full race tune.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think I’d go a an airbox, exhaust and PC. The piggy back method doesn’t sound as complicated and risky.
I don’t think I trust anyone to fully get into the ECU and change everything. I guess there’s a risk of fuck ups.
I have to agree. I think that’s the way I’ll prob go. You still get a custom map with the Pcv it’s just on top of the existing map rather than directly on to the Ecu. I am interested to find out a bit more about Geoff at hilltops work though....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the rapidbike evo on mine, tunes each cylinder individually and provides autotune via the standard O2 sensors, runs really well, you can get the rapidbike race that has the ignition facility on it as well but I've left this as I'm running he akro map which should take care of the ignition curve. cylinder 2.jpg cylinder 1.jpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts