KTM Owners Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Why would you change the ambient temp sensor when it seems to be working fine? It gives sensible readings, doesn't it?
KTM told me the Ambient sensor was not reading right. It was one temperature then it dropped quite a bit. However I’ve never seen this on my dash ambient temperature display. It’s always appeared quite consistent and reliable. That’s why they suggested it could be faulty. They also said the dash display runs a little behind as there is a slight delay between the actual temp and the displayed readings. This made no sense to me and I’ve never seen this play up before or even since.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I take it you go to SP Motorcycles in Marsh Barton , who seem a friendly lot and would probably have the filters you need ?. Went in there last week and have never seen so many new KTM,s in one place , absolutely stacked out with them .

·
Premium Member
6,732 Posts
I checked my oil temp on the 1290 this week. 25C ambient, 4 bars on coolant temp.
Oil temp was 85 to 90 deg, depending on speed, traffic etc.

My buddy’s R1 was behaving just like your bike at a trackday, it would run ok for a couple of laps then start to hold back eventually almost dying. Switch off and on and it would be ok for another lap or two. It was the filter on the input to the fuel pump which on the Yamahas is like a tea bag. We drained the tank and pulled the pump out between sessions, filter was full of brown gunge. We washed it in fuel massaging the filter to work the gunge out of it and poured the petrol back in through an old T shirt to filter it and the bike ran good for a couple of sessions then started holding back so we cleaned again, it then ran great for the rest of the day. He eventually had to drain the tank completely, flush it properly and fit a new filter but the problem has never come back since then. The bike had never had E10 but we’ve had E5 for years and the ethanol grows bacteria, once the bacteria is established in the filter (after a lay up of a few weeks/months) you can’t get rid of it with fresh petrol or treatment, it has to be cleaned. In carbs it’s an even worse nightmare, the gunk literally fills all the passageways and jets.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I take it you go to SP Motorcycles in Marsh Barton , who seem a friendly lot and would probably have the filters you need ?. Went in there last week and have never seen so many new KTM,s in one place , absolutely stacked out with them .
No, JD Racing Saltash. I didn’t know Exeter had a KTM dealership but I do remember seeing an older GT for sale advertised up there when I was shopping around for one on the net.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I checked my oil temp on the 1290 this week. 25C ambient, 4 bars on coolant temp.
Oil temp was 85 to 90 deg, depending on speed, traffic etc.

My buddy’s R1 was behaving just like your bike at a trackday, it would run ok for a couple of laps then start to hold back eventually almost dying. Switch off and on and it would be ok for another lap or two. It was the filter on the input to the fuel pump which on the Yamahas is like a tea bag. We drained the tank and pulled the pump out between sessions, filter was full of brown gunge. We washed it in fuel massaging the filter to work the gunge out of it and poured the petrol back in through an old T shirt to filter it and the bike ran good for a couple of sessions then started holding back so we cleaned again, it then ran great for the rest of the day. He eventually had to drain the tank completely, flush it properly and fit a new filter but the problem has never come back since then. The bike had never had E10 but we’ve had E5 for years and the ethanol grows bacteria, once the bacteria is established in the filter (after a lay up of a few weeks/months) you can’t get rid of it with fresh petrol or treatment, it has to be cleaned. In carbs it’s an even worse nightmare, the gunk literally fills all the passageways and jets.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head! It has to be that - the fuel filter. I watched a video the other day with this chap replacing the two filters on his Super Adventure. Seems straight forward but I’m not sure if I should have a go or pay to have them replaced? The problem with mechanics is things don’t always come apart or go back together easily and if I get stuck at one point I’ve got no one to help me out.

So I’m looking at a new oil temp sensor and new fuel filters.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just take your time & take photos at each stage of dismantling.
I had someone help me strip mine between practice sessions earlier this year , luckily my 12 year old daughter remembered how to put it back together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Just take your time & take photos at each stage of dismantling.
I had someone help me strip mine between practice sessions earlier this year , luckily my 12 year old daughter remembered how to put it back together.
I’ve now ordered the fuel filters + oil temp sensor from KTM. Apparently KTM warehouse doesn’t have the fuel filters in stock so they are not expecting delivery until July 30. Then probably won’t get them delivered to my local dealer for up to a week after then. Then there will no doubt be a wait for workshop availability to book it in. So I might be off the road for a month 🙁

61 - 74 of 74 Posts