KTM Owners Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Correct, how did you guess 馃憤

Yip it is a sign of the times, but it is still painful to pay nearly 拢600 to change a couple of filters, oil and brake pads to keep the warranty.
Correct, how did you guess 馃憤

Yip it is a sign of the times, but it is still painful to pay nearly 拢600 to change a couple of filters, oil and brake pads to keep the warranty.
You know you can go to a non-KTM dealer and keep the warranty, right? As long as they are qualified, competent and trade commercially there's no problem doing that.

Registered
Yes i do thanks, but you are right that is an option for the next service.
But you are both wrong...

"The short answer is that if you have your bike serviced by a perfectly reputable, fully qualified mechanic using all the appropriate parts and specified fluids, the exemption that applies to cars under the Office of Fair Trading guidance, which led to the OFT threatening to take all major motor manufacturers to Court, does not apply to motorcycles"

Of course you could always argue some bloke on the internet said you could ;-)

Registered

"The short answer is that if you have your bike serviced by a perfectly reputable, fully qualified mechanic using all the appropriate parts and specified fluids, the exemption that applies to cars under the Office of Fair Trading guidance, which led to the OFT threatening to take all major motor manufacturers to Court, does not apply to motorcycles"

OK thanks for that, i will check it out, rather than taking the word of some bloke on the internet 馃憤

Registered
Unfortunately, I.N.G. is correct - Also, My KTM sales manager mate reckons KTM are a nightmare authorising warranty work on non dealer serviced, unserviced bikes, or non genuine service parts used. It's whether want to roll those dice and trust that you don't have any issues for two years........鈥.

Registered

That was 2013. The law has changed since.

Registered
Changing the oil and filter yourself would be hell of a lot cheaper than a garage !. 4 litres of a decent semi synthetic oil , say Motul 5100 and a genuine oil filter , about 拢50. I doubt whether the air filter would need to be changed at 6000miles, but check it all the same. Plenty of videos available if you need info .

Registered
Unfortunately, I.N.G. is correct - Also, My KTM sales manager mate reckons KTM are a nightmare authorising warranty work on non dealer serviced, unserviced bikes, or non genuine service parts used. It's whether want to roll those dice and trust that you don't have any issues for two years........鈥.
John, Next time take your bike to these guys. It`s a father and son business, I`ve used them for years, the son races a KTM in the supermoto class.
Craig is the owner and is very knowledgeable and just as important, he`s honest.

Thank you for the info i will check them out before my next service馃憤

Registered
That was 2013. The law has changed since.
Got a link to evidence of this?

Not that I would want to give KTM and inch of slack to wriggle out of anything, and for the sake of just one service at the end of year one that might be 拢50-拢75 cheaper via an Indy I would not consider it worth it myself.

If you like to DIY and know a proper job has been done then you're saving @拢200, but for me still worth the 拢200 to keep warranty going for the full 2 years.

On older bikes I do a mix of home servicing and using a trusted indie for stuff I don't want to do, cannot do, don't have time to do etc....

...Got 3 bikes that need a good clean and two needing a service right now, and the 1290 is going to the dealer despite now being out of warranty as I just don't have the time, and on a fairly new bike (<3-4 year old) a FSH can be worth having come sale time.

Registered
Got a link to evidence of this?

Not that I would want to give KTM and inch of slack to wriggle out of anything, and for the sake of just one service at the end of year one that might be 拢50-拢75 cheaper via an Indy I would not consider it worth it myself.

If you like to DIY and know a proper job has been done then you're saving @拢200, but for me still worth the 拢200 to keep warranty going for the full 2 years.

On older bikes I do a mix of home servicing and using a trusted indie for stuff I don't want to do, cannot do, don't have time to do etc....

...Got 3 bikes that need a good clean and two needing a service right now, and the 1290 is going to the dealer despite now being out of warranty as I just don't have the time, and on a fairly new bike (<3-4 year old) a FSH can be worth having come sale time.
Yes you are probably right 馃憤

21 - 32 of 32 Posts