KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got a 625 smc the now, however struggling too keep up or go runs of any length with my mates, and thinking the next logical step is superduke?

has anyone made this transition? pro's cons? is it still as fun as the supermoto? and is it still as fun even though it's a "grown up bike"?

I though there used to be a thread just with superduke pics on it? otherwise if not any chance you can posta pic of yours in here please!

much appreaciated! :D

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi dude. I had a 625 SMC, then a 950 SM and now the Superduke. in some ways the Superduke is more like a Supermoto in attitude than the tall & heavy 950 SM. It's more lairy and chuckable, but the riding position is less familiar than the big SM.

The things to take into account are where and how you ride, who with, and then how much money you have to spend. The SD is one of the biking greats, a class-changing modern classic. It's not an easy bike to ride for the average Joe, but for those coming from a big single supermoto it's less of a jump than for most.

Go test ride one - and maybe compare with the 950 or 990 SM too. (Pics are in my sig)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here ya go fella. have a bash over these until you get one ) mines in there . you will have no problems keeping with your mates up to 90-120mph mark. so is good for roads. long straights may leave you wanting a plastic rocket but once you get on the bends you will be showing your mates your ass(if they are lucky enough to keep up with you) track days again a great bike but anyone that's fairly good will pass you on the straights. then drive you made slowing you up on the bends. As Dutch said get a test ride. I would say a hour or more is needed by then the "ramshackle throttle "(quote from our German friend) will drive you mad or have you loving it.

link to pics
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?46571-superduke-pictures

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biggest concerns are:

1) It's not as loud as the 625 (remus Ti with no bafle)

2) Torque from zero revs,, thats what I love about my 625

3) ease of long rides? thats particularly what I want, as i cant go very far on 625

I ride with mates who are mostly on rice racers, which I personally don't like. One mate just bought a brand spanker z750 which is lovely. I really like the style of the naked bike, (monster, z750, street triple) and I wanna go with something like that.

I will most probably want something mental looking, single seater, most like the r or the sd with an r rear end conversion.

Plus the ease of putting the thing up on the rear. I can wheelie my 625, but I cant reach the balancing point which is what i'm practising hard at, but shit myself right as it hits the point where it goes floaty!!
Keeping up till 120 is fibe with me, I have no desire to go superfast all the time, as long as i look the bets out of all the boys!!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Regarding noise - A superduke with the race oval akras is very loud, or go to 2-TR in kent for zortst that will burn your ears. The akra evos are loud enough to part traffic when filtering about 5 cars ahead, but they're not not as loud as the ovals.

Apparently those with the mototune airbox pull about 102db on trackdays with the baffles IN. :eek:

Distance is fine on an SD. I'd happily ride 400 miles in a day - although it's not a motorway cruiser. Taller screen on the newer models helps high speed cruising at around 95, although medium length bursts at 110 are fine without it.

If you can't wheelie it, you are ghey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SD

Biggest concerns are:

1) It's not as loud as the 625 (remus Ti with no bafle)

2) Torque from zero revs,, thats what I love about my 625

3) ease of long rides? thats particularly what I want, as i cant go very far on 625

Plus the ease of putting the thing up on the rear. I can wheelie my 625, but I cant reach the balancing point which is what i'm practising hard at, but shit myself right as it hits the point where it goes floaty!!
I've had a Superduke for a few months now and I can confirm:

1. I have the Akro cans with baffles out and its awesomely loud with a beautiful pitch

2. Masses of torque from low down, loads more than my previous 950 SM

3. I'll get back to you next week, have 1,500 miles in France planned between this afternoon and Monday

4. Front comes up off the throttle without trying

TB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts