KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In fact it is not a temperature problem but an indication problem. My mates SDR occasionally indicates a hot engine, meaning all the bars on the instrument panel are lit. We already checked if the fan starts and if the temperature is too high, but found nothing unusual so far.
We took the headlight of, disconnected all plugs, sprayed a little WD40 and plugged them together again. But still all bars come on from time to time.
Can you please tell me where the temperature sensor is located. I will then replace it and see if the problem is still there.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Sorry fella. No clue. You may want to call you're dealer if you in a rush for an answer, or post on the main forum here where there are a few mechanics, or try the superduke forum where there are more international members who may know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
check coolant. air in system. kink in hose. thermostat faulty? check it opens at 75c. check correct engine oil.
there are a number of temp sensors but ill give you the main coolant one.
sitting on the bike view.
1 left side under the air box you see a V shape in the frame. move the hoses the coolant temp sensor is in between the 2 engine heads.( not the gray plug thats visible)

you see a hard plastic bit of hose (L shape), behind that hose push you hand through the V in the frame and under the plastic air box. its in there. if you move the hose connected to the hard plastic hose you can just see it. if you struggle to find it let me know ill post a pic.

wire colour: gray/green in black protective sleeve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ dutch: many thanks, I've got a few private messages already and learned that am not alone with the problem. We'll sort it, am sure ;o)

@ Vertigo66: thanks to you too! well the coolant, hoses, radiator and fan have been checked, we also measured the temperature using some kinda infrared thermometer. nothing strange found there, so I think its either the cable to the sensor or the sensor itself makes the trouble. thanks again for the exact description. my mate is in italy at the moment and we will check as soon as he's back, I'll then post the results of our attempts to get rid of this problem...

cheers
steve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, we found the problem last Friday!!! I am so happy and it is so unbelieveable. After we replaced the temperature sensor we had the same problem. After that we replaced the thermostat, the temperature switch in the radiator, bleeded the system again. Then we lend a complete dash form a mate but same problem. Last step was replacement of the blackbox. But still no success... But we could return the new box to the dealer so no costs there....

By chance we found the problem in the wiring. The cable connected to the water temperature sensor caused the problem, it seems that the cable was pinched and so the copper leads inside were broken but still made contact. As soon as we touched the cable the propblem was gone, then when moving it the problem appeared again. We then made an resistance and continuity measurement and it was clear that we had found the problem. Any time we pulled or squeezed the darn wire the pointer went to zero.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, I think so, but am not 100% sure. Everything was removed when I came and it looked like electric spaghetti, cables and wires everywhere... The guy who checked the electrics said there was also a problem with the cable which was connected to the sensor sitting on the left side of the engine. Its a bitch to get out as it sits right behind the frame so putting on a socket is not possible. The sensor cable consits of three (or was it two) wires, the cable leads somewhere into the wiring harness but I dont know if there is another connector or terminal...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, im from Guatemala city, i own a superduke 990 2008 with 30,000 kms. Never had a problem until now. The same as you had. Can you send pictures of what exactly was the cable please? i have been reading this post since about a month ago but cant find it. help please.
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts