KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible to leave the fork tube in the frame with the bearings in place and just replace the top and bottom parts of the triple clamps?

I refering to part 17.

Line Font Parallel Engineering Rectangle

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thats not how it works. The steering stem is pressed into the bottom yoke, it will come out but its tight. When you remove the top yoke, the stem and bottom yoke, plus the part of the bottom bearing, will drop out downwards.
It's pretty straight forward once you get into it.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not how it works. The steering stem is pressed into the bottom yoke, it will come out but its tight. When you remove the top yoke, the stem and bottom yoke, plus the part of the bottom bearing, will drop out downwards.
It's pretty straight forward once you get into it.
Ah, OK, that makes more sense, thanks.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Ship, I have bought the front end from a 2016 SMCR which includes the forks and triple clamps. I want to fit this to the Enduro and have a couple of options, not sure which one is best. The forks on the SMCR are wider apart than the enduro so I need to use the SMCR triples so everything lines up. I also have a 4 pot radial caliper to use. The SMCR front end did not come with a set of bearings and related bits, washes and bushes etc, so I could purchase these but Im not certain that they will all fit on a 2020 bike. The alternative is to leave the triple 'tube' (not really sure what its called) in the frame and then attach just the top and bottom yokes on to it. Contary to what @Monty said, on the 690 the bottom yoke is fixed with a large nut, item 41

Product Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

This is the same as on the 2020 Enduro, so in theroy both the top and bottom yokes can be removed and maybe refitted to the existing tube from the Enduro.

This is the 2020 Enduro fiche

Font Parallel Rectangle Engineering Pattern

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
However the bottom yoke/s are fixed to the stem, you wont be able to leave the stem in place and then swap out the yoke/s as the bottom yoke and the stem are in reality one (combined) part that needs to be retained by the top yoke. No yokes, and the stem drops out as the top bearing is not fitted to the stem as is the bottom bearing (so it cant act to retain the stem in situ). It will have to be a case of needing two complete clamps, although top bearing etc can be shared.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the fiche for a 2020 350 EXCF. there looks to be a fundamental difference in the design of the triple and the way the bottom yoke connects unless I'm missing something?

Font Parallel Diagram Rectangle Engineering

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Looks like ones billet and the other is cast
also top one is excentric
look like two completely different parts

did you get a matching master cylinder for the 4 pot calliper or are they the same diameter

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Keith has raised a good point - l have never looked at it, but if you think about it, logic would dictate that the smaller master wont be able to push the amount of fluid required for the bigger caliper to work properly. You will need to look at getting the bigger master cylinder l reckon. @KEITH will know more.

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
This is the fiche for a 2020 350 EXCF. there looks to be a fundamental difference in the design of the triple and the way the bottom yoke connects unless I'm missing something?

View attachment 46557
Whilst there are differences, the way it is fitted etc will be the same - i.e, the stem can't be left in the frame minus the clamps. Thats my interpretation.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would be surprised if you just undo that nut and the bottom triple just comes off. they are normally also a press fit just expect the worse and you can only be relived.

when you take it off, you could have that pressed out and pressed into your new bottom triple ?

are the stems the same between the bikes?

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Anyway on the plus side it’s nice to see a supermoto build on here
reminds me of the old days

1 - 20 of 62 Posts