·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Why is that mate

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Why is that mate
Not sure. I’ve been building it for that long that the excitement has just completely gone. It’s like 95% complete and I have not been near it for quite some time. Shame it looks the nuts too. I need to get the excitement back, I usually just buy a new shiny part to keep me going but I’ve run out of parts to buy 😂

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've fitted the triples and my thoughts were correct and I have been able to retain the stem and original bearings. Everything came apart very easily and then bolted back up. The SMCR clamps are much wider than the enduro, it will interesting to see how differently it handles.

The back wheel went straight in but its a tight fit around the caliper. Unscrewing the chain guide helps.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Vehicle brake Bicycle chain

Bicycle Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Light

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Ah... to me, the way you originally asked the Q was that you were asking about retaining the stem insitu while clamps were removed ..... l didnt appreciate that you were asking about the ability to swap those parts out. Anyway, all's well that ends well 👍🏻

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I bought a second-hand 4 piston caliper from eBay which looked in ok condition but I decided to strip it down and clean it and replace the seals etc. I've never done this before but it wasn't as difficult as I thought. I had trouble getting the pistons out so checked YouTube and found a video about using an airline to do it. This worked well, but beware, you can launch them from the caliper and take your eye out if you're not careful :ROFLMAO:

Gas Personal protective equipment Motor vehicle Auto part Wood

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Yes, an airline and a carefully placed rag are your friends on that job. Personally, l would just use dot 4 / 5.1 as assembly 'lube' rather than any form of grease.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Are you doing the rear shock as well adz

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes, I've bought a rear shock from an SMCR and the forks, etc. I'm going to fit everything first to make sure it all lines up and works, if this is all good, I'll send the suspension away to FTR for a service. The parts have come from a stolen/recovered 2016 SMCR with 11k on the clock. I bought everything from a breakers on eBay.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I've rebuilt the front caliper, it was easier than I expected. I've bled the system and have pressure on the lever. I was worried about the ABS and stuff I had read about needing a vacuum pump but it wasn't necessary.

Also fitted a new clutch slave after the failure in Wales last month.

I'm starting to think this will make a better Supermoto than a rally bike.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake

21 - 40 of 62 Posts