KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

I had the first run out today and the bike feels very reluctant to turn in. Not sure if it's the suspension, I bought it second hand and haven't made any adjustment yet. I expect it will need a service but could this cause the reluctantance to turn in?

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
So you dont know what springs are in forks, what its set too? Google the factory settings for a ball park and then go from there l reckon. On my old 950sm, it was not good until you lost all if the preload (and all standard specs said 5!) Tyre pressure a bit high?

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So you dont know what springs are in forks, what its set too? Google the factory settings for a ball park and then go from there l reckon. On my old 950sm, it was not good until you lost all if the preload (and all standard specs said 5!) Tyre pressure a bit high?
I'll have a check tomorrow

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I've now set the sag and added some preload on the rear to get it in spec, lowered the tire pressure, and set all the clickers to a mid-position, this has had very little effect. I have though now discovered that the 690 has an Excentric Head Tube which means that you can change the offset by 2mm I think. The top of the head tube is shaped differently on oppoersite sides which means you can rotate the head tube and then changed the off-set.

This is not my picture but you can see on the stem there is a thicker piece at the rear compared to the front.

I need to pull the front end apart again to see where mine is set, hopefull I can slcaken it off a bit.

Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Camera

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'm in Essex, near Chelmsford. We could definitely meet up. I need to get the headlight and speedo on before I make any kind of long journey on it and that will be a couple of weeks yet as I'm waiting on parts.

Have you ridden your much yet? I was going to ask you what you thought of the steering and handling on yours.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It's not here till Wed, currently awaiting PDI type check in Premier Bikes... I've ridden a few 19/20s though when i've had my Dukes in for servicing. I've been SMC-R curious more than a few times as IMO they're everything i WANT in a bike.

Handling though i must admit is going to take work as on the tests i've not really gelled with the sit up MX style riding position lol... which sounds bizarre that i'm buying one... but i've been in a bit of a weird place with motorbikes in recent years and if there's any bike out there that will help, this is it...

But i certainly don't recall it being slow or sluggish to handle/turn in the slightest. Hopefully though i'll have it Weds and test it.

If you've got access to car we could meet at say Ducati Aylesbury and you can head out for a play, i can point you towards excellent roads there, i don't need you to bring yours for me to let you out on it.

·
Administrator
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have now sorted this handling issue. I have stripped the front end off again and reassembled exact as per the manual and torqued everything exactly. I must have cocked up something before. The bike now rides 100% better than before. Something must have been out of alignment. I'm relieved and happy now.

I think the next step is a full service on the suspension. It's come from a bike with 10k miles on it and I would bet its never been touched before.

The remaining parts will be ready tomorrow so I can get the dash and headlight back on.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Top man for attempting this rebuild. Personally, I would have shoved the 17,s on and reworked and lowered the suspension. Unless you are tracking it, doubt you would have felt the difference.
Saying that, I have just dropped a fortune on two rfs bikes. 450 and a 560

41 - 60 of 62 Posts