KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Been trying to sell my Adventure all summer, and still no takers! What am I doing wrong? I know the bike has a high mileage and a funny paint scheme, but there must be someone out there who is interested.

I would appreciate any advice any of you might have as to how I might sell my bike.

I am currently advertising the bike on Auto trader here:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ktm/radius/60/page/1/postcode/w85bu?logcode=p

I have now dropped the price so much, a dealer actually rang me up and offered me £4,500 for it!

What gets me is that there is a similar bike, 3K fewer miles, but a year older on sale near by for more than £1,500 more.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...de/w85bu/radius/60/quicksearch/true?logcode=p
What am I doing wrong!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Personally i wouldn't put that it has high mileage,just put the mileage.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with Blue, 27,000 miles isn't high for an 08 bike. When I sold my 07 990 in 08 it had done 24,000 miles. I sold it for £5500. (£9750 new)

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The sad truth of it is that anything that doesn't sell is overpriced at that point in time. If yours hasn't sold all summer.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
Agreed about the mileage. Its not a negative. I also wouldn't worry about the comparison with the more expensive bike. It hasn't sold either and I would argue its a bit topey in price (I paid 7k for my 08 990 18 months ago).

Don't take this the wrong way but have you thought about getting some OE plastics? As it stands you have expensive trim for off-road but a bit bright for the commute.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Id agree that a non standard paint job put people off. Saying that, if it has been for sale when I bought my SM I would have seriously considered it.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I know that a repainted bike will put some off but I think it looks excellent and if I was looking for an adventure I'd be very interested in it .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't scoured either, but it looks like neither this thread nor the auto trader ad say where you are / the bike is. Obviously that's easily solved by a question to you, but means waiting for a reply and for browsers with lots of bikes to choose from, it may be enough to look past your ad to others possibly closer to potentially interested buyers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A mate of mine is after an Adv and he was threatening to put some Red Bull decals on whatever he got, so I'll send him that link, he might be interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input everyone! I am delighted to say that it looks like KevIn Yorks is going to relieve me of this bike! I don't mind selling the bike to another enthusiast at a low cost, particularly one I can follow on here so I can see what new adventures the bike goes on.

Re the comments about the paint scheme, I had seriously thought about purchasing OE body work. I don't know how much that would cost, but I suspect I could have upped the price accoridngly and still undercut most other sellers.

Re the location, on auto trader bikes are listed by how many miles away they are from the browser's location, so anyone looking would know if it was local or not. (However, the original link I put on on this thread was actually to the listing as viewed through my auto-trader account, so the bike's post-code location was actually given! Thanks to the helpful soul who PM'd me to point this out, so I could amend the link!)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone! I am delighted to say that it looks like KevIn Yorks is going to relieve me of this bike! I don't mind selling the bike to another enthusiast at a low cost, particularly one I can follow on here so I can see what new adventures the bike goes on.

Re the comments about the paint scheme, I had seriously thought about purchasing OE body work. I don't know how much that would cost, but I suspect I could have upped the price accoridngly and still undercut most other sellers.

Re the location, on auto trader bikes are listed by how many miles away they are from the browser's location, so anyone looking would know if it was local or not. (However, the original link I put on on this thread was actually to the listing as viewed through my auto-trader account, so the bike's post-code location was actually given! Thanks to the helpful soul who PM'd me to point this out, so I could amend the link!)
I love that paint scheme, mine seriously scratched if you afford I probably would.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Thanks to the helpful soul who PM'd me to point this out, so I could amend the link!)
No problem since i would hate to see someone lose their bike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad you can see light on the end of the tunnel.
To get back to your original question. Price is ok and if there is a potential buyer, it always can be lowered. I agree with previous writers about the mileage. Sounds negative.
It's the paint job! Not everyone is a "freak" like us and does their bike up in rally style. I wouldn't mind it, but I would have to do something about the windscreen. It just doesn't look right to me. Somehow like cut off. I would have to fix that and make the whole thing orange.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As suggested, first off remove the high mileage and tell people where you are. My first impression, due the colour scheme, is that it has been raced. This is further supported by having to spend thousands on the engine. I would remove this and explain when people call. Rather than give yr opinion on the bike (let's face it who would diss something they are trying to sell) refer to MCN article which states what we all already know ie Ktm Adventure is #1 true adventure bike.
You now have it advertised for £4750. Any buyer will want to chip you so if you must sell them £4.5k from the dealer might be close to the mark.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
As suggested, first off remove the high mileage and tell people where you are. My first impression, due the colour scheme, is that it has been raced. This is further supported by having to spend thousands on the engine. I would remove this and explain when people call. Rather than give yr opinion on the bike (let's face it who would diss something they are trying to sell) refer to MCN article which states what we all already know ie Ktm Adventure is #1 true adventure bike.
You now have it advertised for £4750. Any buyer will want to chip you so if you must sell them £4.5k from the dealer might be close to the mark.
dont think it matters now since i believe its sold!

and because it has a repsol paint job means its been in the dakar then does it!? i dont think so most ktm people know that a few of these were knocked out
i think the paint jobs really nice

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, KevInYorks has decided he doesn't want to buy my bike, so its still available if anyone is interested.

I take on board the comments above and may now try to edit the add on Auto Trader.

From the above I am no closer really to knowing what the real value of this bike is. Some of you think that because it has not sold, it must be worth less than the asking price. I don't necessarily adhere to that view. Other similar bikes are on sale for huge amounts more, and someone above has mentioned that they sold an '08 for 7K.

I think the bike is worth something like £5,300. If an '08 with "regular" 5K mileage a year is worth £7K, then taking away £100 for each 1,000 miles over this, which I believe is the going rate, takes it down to around £5,300. I am now so desperate to sell the thing I will take £4.5K, so if anyone wants a serious bargain, let me know!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can't believe this hasn't sold at that price...but people really do get put off by the mileage - have you put it in the for sale section on this forum (I haven't seen it if you have)...I've sold two bikes through that section, an 06 990 Adventure and a 05 450 EXC and found the forum members very easy to deal with.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts