KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from having my suspension set up by Darren at MCT and what a difference. He asked me what I wanted and I said a bike that would turn quickly but still want to lean and be stable when doing so. I had got the bike to change direction better by dropping the yokes 10mm down the forks but preferred the feel I got when leaning from the standard settings.
After some time twiddling and bouncing he took it for a test ride and then told me to try it. WOW, what a difference! The bike now changes direction with virtually no effort and just keeps on leaning. I thought I was going to grind a peg on one roundabout. The bike still feels planted and has no adverse reaction to closing the throttle or braking while leaning.
All I can say is what a shame summer is nearly over, and what a transformation for £95 plus the dreaded. If anyone is struggling with their settings I can not recommend Darren highly enough. This is the first mod any one should do as this will make you faster that adding things like Akro's due to increased stability, feel and confidence.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can't agree more re. suspension set up.
I was clueless till it's set up by an ex-racer. He's probably not one you lot would have known, but he made a drastic improvement of the bike after the adjustment! I will provide my set up after I get to record it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi, sounds good, and just what I'm looking for. Whereabouts are MCT and do they talk you through the process so that you can fine tune yourself?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, sounds good, and just what I'm looking for. Whereabouts are MCT and do they talk you through the process so that you can fine tune yourself?
They are in Stowmarket in Suffolk, if you mean will they do it over the phone, I think it is unlikely, as he has base settings he puts in to the bike and then bounces on it to fine tune it to what you have asked for. Once you have been to him and had a set up done I think that if you were to phone him then and say its doing this or that, how do I cure it he would probably be able to help. I have had 4 bike done by him now and won't go anywhere else, he has always made my bikes handle how I asked him to. All I can suggest is give him a call and see what he says.

-Linky http://www.mctsuspension.com/home.htm

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stowmarket's not exactly next door, but then it's an excuse to do some miles. I didn't want a telephone setup, only for an explanation of what changes have been made and what effect they have. My setup knowledge is limited to the occasional tweak on preloads and I'd like to understand the differences changes to compression and rebound damping, high speed/low speed etc can make. Thanks for the info. BTW I've been a member on several forums and I rate this one, there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Darren at MCT has been doing my bikes for years...can't rate him enough !
Yep! same here. He transformed my 'ol viffer many years ago too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep! same here. He transformed my 'ol viffer many years ago too.
I first used him about 8 or 9 years ago when he was at his previous address. A friend of mine was racing in the MRO and Darren did his bike and was doing a lot of the bikes there and attending the meetings. I don't think he goes to as many meetings as he used to now, if at all.
The first bike of mine he did was an RRT Blade with 16 inch front wheel. He did new springs, valves, oil etc in the forks and complete set up, the difference was amazing, certainly contributed to me keeping the bike for almost 5 years more.
I think a lot of people really under estimate the importance of well set up suspension, and as I said in a previous post I think it should be done before spending money on making a bike go faster with exhausts etc, as you can ride faster and more confidently with a good set up and a standard engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stay away from MCT suspension

My experience is rather different.
They knowingly sold me a wrong shock.
They then claimed it was sold to me personally by an employee, not by MCT so i couldn't return it.
Since i had sufficient proof i was dealing with MCT they finally reluctantly agreed to take it back.
After i sent it back they claimed it was damaged and refused to repay me.
These guys are crooks, stay away.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Dunno about MCT but have you suspension set up is a great mod...

Although when i had mine done i went the hole hog. Mine was sent of to FTR who used to be WP uk but due to WP factory moving to Austria or sumat its change but still do WP suspension. Anyway i had them lower it 25mm(mainly due to my hight), set it up for my weight and set up for supermoto... The results to the bikes handling are awsome, not that it handled badly before but was in need of some servicing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My experience is rather different.
They knowingly sold me a wrong shock.
They then claimed it was sold to me personally by an employee, not by MCT so i couldn't return it.
Since i had sufficient proof i was dealing with MCT they finally reluctantly agreed to take it back.
After i sent it back they claimed it was damaged and refused to repay me.
These guys are crooks, stay away.
This is the first bad thing I have ever read or heard about for Darren at MCT in all the time I have been riding bikes, using MCT and discussing them on lots of different forums. I have to say i'm completely shocked....are you sure it was MCT not MotoTecnics (they bought the servicing part of the business when Darren wanted to focus entirely on doing suspension) and who are only a mile or so up the road and, perhaps, don't quite have the same reputation?

Really very surprised by your comments. I have recommended MCT to loads of people and never had anything negative back from any of them !!

Also just checked and you only joined the forum yesterday and your only post was this very negative review......Something rotten in the state of Denmark? (note use of Shakespeare quote to appear clever and sophisticated ;) )

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been using them for years as well, as have lots of other people locally and they are regularly recommended in the bike magazines. I'm surprised to hear a bad comment about them as they have always been straight with me and everyone else I know who has used them. And, yes, Darren really knows his stuff - the work he did on my VFR was the best value upgrade I have ever had to a bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am also suprised as well as this is the first bad report I have heard and not in keeping with my experience. However I am not nieve enough to think that it is not possible for someone to have a different experience to mine. That said I will still use no one else but Darren for any of my suspension work and will still reccomend him to any one who needs work done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't recommend them enough. I've added a VFR800 VTEC to my stable and Darren has done that for me as well and the bike is fantastic now. I've also bought a 1984 Yamaha IT490 to restore and have already spoken to Darren about him rebuilding the suspension for me.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
They have done work for me on my previous 3 bikes and the Mrs latest bike, been very happy every time.

My 1190 Adventure has fairly decent suspension with the exception of very soggy forks, but not sure if much can be done with the KTM Electronic suspension, one of the things I do not like with many modern bikes, you can no longer just hand it to someone like MCT to re-work. I understand the WP stuff KTM fit to road bikes is not re-buildable like the Motocross stuff which is a shame. I am guessing the latest Semi Active stuff is even worse (if you don't like how it comes from the factory)

MCT have worked wonders on OE shocks on other bikes for me as well as supplying and setting up Ohlins and Wilburs stuff for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the majority of replies on this thread says it all.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think the majority of replies on this thread says it all.
I have recommended them to many friends who have been happy, many of these have recommended them to other friends, on a previous bike forum MCT have probably sorted 30+ bikes and no complaints.

The only reason my 1190 has not been there is it has EDS suspension which is pretty much tamper-proof, so I guess I will have to trade it in for a new bike every 3 years at a cost of around £5,000 :eek: or buy new a EDS shock for £1,000 instead of a shock service for £75 :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts