KTM Owners Forum banner

221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
Looks like Shell grip carnage to me! Snetterton (before its track was reconfigured and resurfaced) blobbed up tyres like that 3 secs out of the pits .......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finnaly got round to measuring mine now it’s got over 1,000 miles on it, the front end has been bottoming out at 125mm of travel, and way too much static sag at 31mm.
Rear static came out about the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So there is a need for spacers for some and not for others?

I have a Gen 3 2020.

With gear Im probably around the same weight as you guys. 89 kg.

Anyone tried the track settings under the seat?

·
Registered
108 Posts
BryanH looks like you need to add preload both ends. Last time i measured mine i had 15mm free sag rear and 25mm front free sag. Im on +5 rear and stock front on preload. Im around 75kgs, 80+ with gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve all the preload added on the front day it was delivered, so spacers required.
So from my understanding you add a spacer to be able to compress the spring further?

Isnt this a sign that you actually need to change springs? Or am I wrong on this one?

·
Registered
108 Posts
So from my understanding you add a spacer to be able to compress the spring further?

Isnt this a sign that you actually need to change springs? Or am I wrong on this one?
With so much free sag theres scope for using packers to get more preload and reduce free/bike sag. If the free sag is minimal, and rider sag is excessive (i.e. 45 + mm) then heavier weight springs would be needed. Its a combination of free sag verse rider sag to determine whether the spring rate is correct. Ive never bottomed my forks out, their is usually around 35mm of stauntion showing below red O ring after a good blast on the road or track. 25mm where there is no travel, so aprox 10mm of travel left.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve all the preload added on the front day it was delivered, so spacers required.
Yes, looks like spacers needed especially with 31mm free/static sag. What is your rider with gear overall sag? I aim for around 40mm up front and 35mm rear for road riding.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Cutting edge technology, class leading bike costing £15799 UK RRP and needs spacers adding to the forks to enable the correct pre-load settings, strewth . . .
Not all if them but certainly some have needed.

But Wazza, there's not a bike on this planet you could buy without making some mods to. It's all part of the ownership experience.

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been reading through this thread with an open mind I took a test ride on my gen 3 before buying it and it handled great on standard settings so all goo, however, once I got my new bike delivered had a bit tweak with settings to make it better for the bumpy roads I use (not track quality)

1. Front compression out 25
  2. front rebound out 14
  3. rear comp 12
  4. rear hi speed 1.75
  5. rear rebound out 15
This made the bike mint and does not kick and buck out of the seat it handles as it should for fast road riding. The sandard sdr1290 gen 3 comes set up on standard settings which works great but if you want that bit more its a case of fine tunning only.

Happy Days s

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seems a lot out on front Conp, what you weigh?
I’m on Adam’s setting of 15 out, I’m at FTR on Thursday with a few mates for set up on Gen 2 SDR and a Duke 890 R, so I’ll post up settings and my weight.
I tried adding Comp damping to give a bit of extra hydraulic support under braking, got to 3 clicks more but didn’t like it, so be more installed preload or stiffer spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bryan was ok at 18 or 21 to just buddy just down to feel, don't think there is much difference on a small amount of adjustments on the bike.
Tried sort setting on comp (7 clicks) it was far too hard for the road, the bike seems to work better with a softer setup.
If I was on track sport set all day
Weight is 92kilos buddy

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
I'm still not happy with mine. I thinking about a cartridge upgrade on the front and a revalve on the rear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been reading through this thread with an open mind I took a test ride on my gen 3 before buying it and it handled great on standard settings so all goo, however, once I got my new bike delivered had a bit tweak with settings to make it better for the bumpy roads I use (not track quality)

1. Front compression out 25
  2. front rebound out 14
  3. rear comp 12
  4. rear hi speed 1.75
  5. rear rebound out 15
This made the bike mint and does not kick and buck out of the seat it handles as it should for fast road riding. The sandard sdr1290 gen 3 comes set up on standard settings which works great but if you want that bit more its a case of fine tunning only.

Happy Days s
Very similar to my setup, front comp 23 for me. will post what i have at some stage, but it took a bit of trial and error to get it where i like it. also i find the bike rides nicer when i have my touring bag on. I'm 75kgs.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
You’d think the silly cunts would have this sorted after 4 incarnations of the same bike. The Tuono V4 Factory Ohlins suspension is superb out of the box, why can’t WP manage this ? It’s on a par quality wise in the racing world

·
Registered
108 Posts
You’d think the silly cunts would have this sorted after 4 incarnations of the same bike. The Tuono V4 Factory Ohlins suspension is superb out of the box, why can’t WP manage this ? It’s on a par quality wise in the racing world
Ive had 4 Aprilias, first 3 had Ohlins, which i had re-valved and re-sprung to suit my weight, the last was a V4 Tuono with SACH, i had to fit all new fork internals and a TTX shock. It was diabolical stock. Ive found my 3 1290's suspensions to be very good overall, (GT, really touring suspension) my 790 i fitted a Nitron shock, and Matris fork kit, its suspension was ok for the road, (built to a budget) but not suited for the track. Im more than happy with the WP on my 2020 1290R.

·
Registered
15,980 Posts
V4 1100 Factory Tuono doesn’t need any physical upgrades, just setting up, for a best in class bike for close to £16k the SDR should not have to this done in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,460 Posts
I'm still not happy with mine. I thinking about a cartridge upgrade on the front and a revalve on the rear.
Why not?😂😂
I could understand if you were a track day junky and a fast road rider on the tyres edge. I'm not sure what people expect? And blame the bike and not there skill level 😬😆

221 - 240 of 255 Posts