KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

261 - 280 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on how fast you ride/drive if your mid/front of pack in fast group on a track day or race then fair enough. Suspension set up is great and worth doing, what I’m saying is it’s not the be all and end all of riding quick! It makes me laugh on track days when people talk BS about this and that and have not got a clue, they spend loads of money on bikes to make them faster instead of addressing the real issues their skill level how many times do you see rat bikes spank the most trick litre bikes on track that’s not the bike it’s the skill of the rider!

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Wanting a decent suspension setup is not just about wanting to go fast. It makes a bike more enjoyable to ride at any speed.

Reactions: MacRR and DaveNZ

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
What else is there except going fast?

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting your suspension set up it’s a worth while investment as everybody is different, all I’m saying is don’t get hung up on it and this is the same with tyres! People think get the most sticky rubber possible which in my opinion is a complete waste of money for road riding as you can’t use the tyre to its full potential on the road, S22’s, Metzeler M9RR etc are all you will ever need and for most sports touring tyres are more than adequate especially with the advances of traction. Supercorsa’s, K3’s etc are overkill for the road as the mileage on them is terrible value as you can’t use the increased grip unless on track or you have a death wish whilst road riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First proper post. Been reading thread with interest. Here’s what I believe is a pretty accurate summary of what KTM recommend, together with those settings some forum members have contributed. I’m currently finishing off running in, and you’ll see I’ve mostly followed ‘Comfort’ settings. Still in the ‘honeymoon’ period with the bike, however, very much enjoying it as it is (I accept though, I’d be bottoming out the fork travel on track as it stands).

Screen Grab Forum Suspension Setttings.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. Exactly! I don’t think there’s anything really wrong. The rear has been designed to take a pillion, and it appears that, with some shims, if necessary, the front can be adjusted. Other than that, KTM gives Owners detailed suggestions for five riding scenarios which, if we feel inclined, we can experiment with and try out for ourselves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm no expert, but coming from the gen 2 to the gen 3 is a massive upgrade on stock settings. Very happy with mine for fast road riding, don't feel any desire to mess with it. The gen 2 I was always tweaking to no avail. Gen 3 starts to feel a bit soft now when pushing on now I have 1200 or miles on it. Feels good for our roads though.
Time for a set up for your weight then.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wanting a decent suspension setup is not just about wanting to go fast. It makes a bike more enjoyable to ride at any speed.
It’s also safer, if you have too little sag the suspension will not track over dips, it will top out and lift wheel off the ground.
It should be set at about 1/3 or 30% of travel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
First proper post. Been reading thread with interest. Here’s what I believe is a pretty accurate summary of what KTM recommend, together with those settings some forum members have contributed. I’m currently finishing off running in, and you’ll see I’ve mostly followed ‘Comfort’ settings. Still in the ‘honeymoon’ period with the bike, however, very much enjoying it as it is (I accept though, I’d be bottoming out the fork travel on track as it stands).

View attachment 39497
That’s great, thanks for the time spent on that, too much spare time? 😁

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·

View attachment 39497
I feel like I'm being stalked 🤣🤣

Good effort though. It would be a valuable chart to keep that updated and made available everyone. 👍

·
Registered
139 Posts

View attachment 39497
Can you add static and rider sag to it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, plenty of time for things such a this! I'll input as best I can, but there are gaps, which can of course be filled in by fellow forum members - it's just an Excel spreadsheet that I've taken a 'Screen Shot' of...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on mine now perfect for fast road use,just a small tweek from standard and its planted front feels sucked to road and under heavy braking forks are just right according to markers :) happy days.

KTM have made the bike mint from the off compared to gen 1 and 2 and put loads of development into gen 3 for road use and in my opinion nailed it nowt will pass this on the road lol;)
  • front fork comp 18
  • '' '' reb 14
  • '' '' pre 0
  • rear shock L/Speed 12
  • rear shock H/Speed 1.5
  • rear '' reb 15
  • rear '' '' pre 0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kinda seems like those with the opinion that suspension set up doesn't matter are the people riding gen 1s and 2s...stop trying to talk yourselves out of a gen 3 lads, you know you want one 😉.
I have never heard this opinion anywhere before... in my experience its fundamental to safety, feel, performance and comfort.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I've given up on the suspension setup. I've had two different suspension guys set it up now and I still think the WP stuff is poor quality. It's very harsh on normal UK roads, it might be fine for track days but I just find it too harsh and uncomfortable. I've now ordered a Maxton upgrade.

261 - 280 of 367 Posts