KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

281 - 300 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've given up on the suspension setup. I've had two different suspension guys set it up now and I still think the WP stuff is poor quality. It's very harsh on normal UK roads, it might be fine for track days but I just find it too harsh and uncomfortable. I've now ordered a Maxton upgrade.
That's surprising. I definitely found it a little harsh in stock set up and got launched out of the seat once or twice on my first ride yesterday but I'm hoping TW will be able to sort it out for me.
I'm less than 70kg in gear though so maybe I'll get away with it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kinda seems like those with the opinion that suspension set up doesn't matter are the people riding gen 1s and 2s...stop trying to talk yourselves out of a gen 3 lads, you know you want one 😉.
I have never heard this opinion anywhere before... in my experience its fundamental to safety, feel, performance and comfort.
Riding with a friend last weekend who had just purchased a Gen 3, he had his Gen 1 written off. I asked what did he notice the most, between the 2, he said the suspension was a massive improvement upgrade. Had to agree.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
696 Posts
Kinda seems like those with the opinion that suspension set up doesn't matter are the people riding gen 1s and 2s...stop trying to talk yourselves out of a gen 3 lads, you know you want one 😉.
I have never heard this opinion anywhere before... in my experience its fundamental to safety, feel, performance and comfort.
Every bike I buy gets a pro set-up. On of the first things I do. Even shit suspension works better when it's correctly set up. It's also good to have some input from an expert on the quality of the suspension. The guy I use rated my SMT's suspension very highly but thought the gen 1 SDR was cut price and poor quality, hence my plan to upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every bike I buy gets a pro set-up. On of the first things I do. Even shit suspension works better when it's correctly set up. It's also good to have some input from an expert on the quality of the suspension. The guy I use rated my SMT's suspension very highly but thought the gen 1 SDR was cut price and poor quality, hence my plan to upgrade.
I'm the same. I rode a Street triple for years before getting it set up properly and on my first test ride I dragged knee for the first time.
I was amazed at the difference a properly set up bike can make.
These days I go see my suspension guy ASAP after a bike purchase.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
When you see the WP cartridges that come out of a Gen1/2 compared to something like Mupo, the WP look like they're made from tin and a spring. I suspect the WP Apex are no different.

·
Registered
16,119 Posts
I think BDA is the only Gen 3 owner who is being honest about the suspension. It seems like gen 3 owners are in denial as the big fanfare of the new bike was the “night and day” suspension differences. As I’ve said before and having ridden both bikes back to back it just felt firmer on the gen 3, which is no good for road riding

It’s all well and good getting Jeremy McWankstain to help develop the suspension but how many of us can ride Assen at the bikes limit ?

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
696 Posts
The gen 1 and 2 aren't that bad anyway. They skimped on build quality with the suspension but the chassis isn't seriously flawed. It just sits too low at the back and is inclined to squat under power, that's all. These things are easily sorted out with modest suspension upgrades, which is worth doing anyway with most bikes, if nothing else just to fine tune a one-size-fits-all factory set-up to suit your body and your riding style. Superdukes aren't going to compete with a properly sorted sports bike for lap times but they're not supposed to. They're road bikes. An even with stock springers, once set up any half decent rider can easily ride around the foibles and the bike will still be way faster than almost anyone who rides it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dont buy a GT the active suspension is something else.
Had a GT, did 42,000 kms on it. The suspension is ok, its ok for touring and fast touring, any faster and it ties its self in knots on fast bumpy corners, re-bound to fast and gives a pogo effect, best to keep in in sports mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have finally set up my Gen 3 for a well controlled, yet compliant ride. And changed my mates bike to the same settings last Friday and he loves it too.

Im 85kg plus gear and am 178cm. He is 81kg and 184cm.

I've discovered this bike likes softer settings and yet remains very controlled even when wound this far out.

Interesting point to note... when testing I started at the stock sport settings and began clicking out and resting. However initially it seemed to get worse and more harsh, but I kept winding it out and was surprised to discover it got better and still remained composure. It doesnt dive under hard braking and the red 'ring' is still 1.5 inches from the bottom of the fork.

Front compression 22 clicks out from fully in.
Front rebound 18 out.
Preload +3.

Rear Compression
Low speed 15 clicks out.
High speed 1.75 turns out.
Rear Rebound I dont know, because the clicker is broken and only gives a small click range..., but I think was 15 out.

Rear preload is 2.5 out. (I set it to the 'correct' rear sag and it resulted in about 10 on the rear preload setting. But it was harsh with just me on board so I wound her back in to 2.5 and had a better ride, even though the static sag was (in theory) too much sag.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
I agree that you get a better ride with maxing out the rebound settings. I've done everything you've done but just couldn't get it when I want it and have given up

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dave Moss settings, and he's probably around 90kgs. Front Comp 20 out, reb 15 out. forks at 5 lines showing. Rear low speed comp 10 out, reb 10 out, and hight speed comp 2 turns out. These were his track settings.

·
Registered
16,119 Posts
The red ring on the bottom of the forks is to measure the cock of the Gen 3 owners, they’ve set it generously at 1.5” to cover the outliers . . .

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
The red ring on the bottom of the forks is to measure the cock of the Gen 3 owners, they’ve set it generously at 1.5” to cover the outliers . . .
Coming from the man who just bought a Ducati Munter

Reactions: WazzaDuke33

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Dave Moss settings, and he's probably around 90kgs. Front Comp 20 out, reb 15 out. forks at 5 lines showing. Rear low speed comp 10 out, reb 10 out, and hight speed comp 2 turns out. These were his track settings.
And track settings on the road will shake your teeth out.

·
Registered
16,119 Posts
The Munters ride and handling are superior to the SDR (all models) in every way. KTM need to sort their shit out with this wanky WP stuff, they should give Richard Adams a call and see how a bloke in Frodsham produces massively superior suspension at less cost than a global brand 😳

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The Munters ride and handling are superior to the SDR (all models) in every way. KTM need to sort their shit out with this wanky WP stuff, they should give Richard Adams a call and see how a bloke in Frodsham produces massively superior suspension at less cost than a global brand 😳
Don't know what a Bunch of Rabbits has got do with Suspension :confused:

281 - 300 of 365 Posts