KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

301 - 320 of 367 Posts

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Do you have any teeth left?

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you have any teeth left?
Funny, as i just got back from the dentist. 1 big filling and 2 chipped teeth repaired, plus they ground the plaque off for a clean. $770 poorer for the visit. My bike isn't harsh on the road. forks comp, 23, reb 15, shock comp 15 reb 14, high speed 1.75 turns out preload set at +5mm, fork set at stock 0mm, and 5 lines showing. Bike feels amazing, and with ventura rack plus pack on, i add another 5mm to the rear preload and 2 extra clicks out on the rebound. I have a new 2021 Multi 950S, and oh man the long travel suspension on that bike is bloody incredible, like a magic carpet.

·
Registered
17,908 Posts
I think the roads and the style of bikes used on them is the problem. Horses for courses. I learned that a long time ago with sports bikes, but persisted because they are cool. Then moved onto naked's because they must be more comfortable, but no different, apart from my Tuono V2 with Ohlins.
So I will succumb to old age and get proper travel suspension. And then I don't have to be concerned about chicken strips ever again. Such a load off.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
697 Posts
One of the reasons a well ridden 1190 will rattle many a more powerful sports bike is the 1190 stays composed over the bumps where sports bikes get out of shape.
That and the fact the 1190 goes like fuck anyway and more often than not the sports bikes are piloted by cocks who can't ride. If they could they have worked out that a track bike isn't the way to go fast on the road.

·
Registered
16,120 Posts
Agree with both Bollocks and Kestrel, if you want to go fast in comfort on any road it’s a big capacity ADV. I’ll have some fun on these nakeds for a few more years then just get a 1290 ADV 18-20 model and Rotty/ Doberman it up to fuck

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree that you get a better ride with maxing out the rebound settings. I've done everything you've done but just couldn't get it when I want it and have given up
Maxing out rebound is ridiculous and dangerous, the gen 3 bikes suspension is more sensitive than the last. Maxing rebound will lock its compression stroke and compact its travel, it will make the bike harsh.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Maxing out rebound is ridiculous and dangerous, the gen 3 bikes suspension is more sensitive than the last. Maxing rebound will lock its compression stroke and compact its travel, it will make the bike harsh.
It doesn't make it harsh at all. That's the setting I came away from HM Racing with for the shock after they set it up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sounds odd to me to max out any rebound but if it works for you then all good. I thought you found the suspension harsh?

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Its too harsh on any setting, that's why I'm upgrading it. But with the rebound on 23 it's the best that you can get it. IMO.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its very odd your predicament with this bike. Honestly mate I do think I believe you and would love a go on yours, maybe you have some rouge bike.
On a contrast to your problem i can back off compression ( rebound to suite ) and preload and have a wobbly jelly of a bike that's so soft i could go to sleep on the thing.
I find the apex shod bike the nearest to Ohlin's shod bikes i have had in the past.
Forget cheap suspension and old worn out shit, no matter where you set the clickers they just do fuck all.

·
Administrator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Your welcome to ride it. My new suspension should be ready w/c 20th June, so you'll need to be quick, alternatively try it with the new Maxton setup after that date.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
170 Posts
Its too harsh on any setting, that's why I'm upgrading it. But with the rebound on 23 it's the best that you can get it. IMO.
Are you quite a light in body weight BigDaddy? On my settings my SDR feels great, but on the firmer side of suspension, in say compared to my Multi. I'm 76 kgs, and when i add my touring rack and bag (10kgs aprox) i feel the bike is much more say, plusher. So I'm guessing the bike is valved for 85-90 kg riders, the spring rates would suggest its sprung of a 75-80 kg rider. But KTM are known for putting softer springs in, to give more travel, and to add some plushness to their rides. You could even try 2.5W oil in the compression leg (stock is 5W) but would need to see how much travel your using by the red band first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth I'm 72ish kg in gear and find the bike handles pretty good on the stock settings.
I'm getting launched out of the seat on the bigger bumps though but I wouldn't say it was harsh.
Tomorrow is the first good weather since the purchase so tonight I set the suspension to comfort and moved the bars to the rear most position in preparation for a 300+ mile ride.
I'm booked in at TW suspension tech week after next too and I'm hoping the springs and valves will prove compatible with my weight.

·
Registered
17,908 Posts
Agree with both Bollocks and Kestrel, if you want to go fast in comfort on any road it’s a big capacity ADV. I’ll have some fun on these bagels for a few mor years then just get a 1290 ADV 18-20 model and Rotty/ Doberman it up to fuck
I'm not sure why, but I'm going to do the same. Rotty, exhaust, tune and suspension set up. Never done it before, but keen to tweak the big fella.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For what it's worth I'm 72ish kg in gear and find the bike handles pretty good on the stock settings.
I'm getting launched out of the seat on the bigger bumps though but I wouldn't say it was harsh.
Tomorrow is the first good weather since the purchase so tonight I set the suspension to comfort and moved the bars to the rear most position in preparation for a 300+ mile ride.
I'm booked in at TW suspension tech week after next too and I'm hoping the springs and valves will prove compatible with my weight.
Backing off the high speed compression should help you and make sure preload is not more than 5. It would be good to see Teut comments on the standard setup and his recommendation.

·
Registered
16,120 Posts
Its very odd your predicament with this bike. Honestly mate I do think I believe you and would love a go on yours, maybe you have some rouge bike.
On a contrast to your problem i can back off compression ( rebound to suite ) and preload and have a wobbly jelly of a bike that's so soft i could go to sleep on the thing.
I find the apex shod bike the nearest to Ohlin's shod bikes i have had in the past.
Forget cheap suspension and old worn out shit, no matter where you set the clickers they just do fuck all.
His bike is blue and Orange, they don’t do it in red

301 - 320 of 367 Posts