KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If the bush is a left handed thread can U screw a bolt in from the outside with tube or spacer which will tighten up on to the bush and turn clockwise until the thread is released and then pull it out (y)
Hopefully U greased it and not loctited it. Something like this I am assuming it's a M12

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
No locktite and a bit of grease, we tried what you suggested and no joy, it won't move and we are worried about applying too much force on the bolt.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sounds like the threads are damaged but looking at the picture most of the threads are removed from the bush have U tried it with a Torque Wrench so U know how much force U are applying starting from 4nm to 10nm this Bush setup only seems to be on the Gen3

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
You're all right in a way.

The bush screws in from the right hand side, I did it finger tight and then just snugged in up a bit but I didn't torque it. This has a left hand thread. The large bolt then goes through the frame from the left hand side, through the top shock mount and then screws in to the bush. This needs to be 80NM. I think the problem is either I didn't screw the bush far enough into the frame or the new Maxton shock is slightly narrower than then OEM. Either way there must have been a gap between the bush and the shock which has over stressed the bush causing failure. Either way its my fault. The remaining part of the bush may have 1 turn of thread remaining which means we can't punch it out but it won't turn either even when you come from the right side if the bike the bolt.
Got it, I understand now.

And the tiny bit of thread left in there is jammed right down the other end of that tube.

What a shit design!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Definitely want to check dimensions of both shocks look's like the bolt pulls the Bush to far into the frame before contacting the shock mount or like U said the bush was not Torqued correctly B4 fitting bolt any way best of luck (y)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Got it, I understand now.

And the tiny bit of thread left in there is jammed right down the other end of that tube.

What a shit design!
Looked at Gen 2 and it has M14 top and bottom no Bush and the RC8 has similar Frame design and no Bush but the difference with the Gen 3 frame there is a Bracket above the shock mount which the other bikes don't have :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Looked at Gen 2 and it has M14 top and bottom no Bush and the RC8 has similar Frame design and no Bush but the difference with the Gen 3 frame there is a Bracket above the shock mount which the other bikes don't have :unsure:
Yes you’re right, SM, RC, Gen1/2 have M14, even the EXCs have M12 but on those bikes the gap in the frame can flex a little to clamp to the shock top mount. The Bolt strengthens the frame.
If there’s a welded-on bracket bridging that gap on the Gen3 then they had to come up with a way to snug it to the shock.
Or maybe the shock they chose only had an M10 hole in it and they had to add the bracket to stabilise the frame hence the addition of the screw-in bush.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
A decent engineering guy would figure that out quick sticks.

If you were local I’d sort it for you mate.

You need a surly old spit and sawdust proper engineer. Probably all dead now, we’ve just been left with love island types who can’t even fill the car with screen wash for fear of dirtying their manicures.

Get down the working mans club and start with the ones in the corner talking shite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
I have someone working on it. My neighbour works at a bike restoration place so he is used to doing this kind of stuff but he's being super cautious as he doesn't want to make it worse.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
I'll tell you one thing, I'm getting sick of this spannering stuff. It's all well and good being a home garage spanner monkey but it's easy to fuck things up, as I've done here with something that should have been easy. I love tinkering in the garage but you have to know your limitations. This thing has been off the road for nearly a month now and it's doing my fucking head in. :mad:

Reactions: WazzaDuke33

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, I'm getting sick of this spannering stuff. It's all well and good being a home garage spanner monkey but it's easy to fuck things up, as I've done here with something that should have been easy. I love tinkering in the garage but you have to know your limitations. This thing has been off the road for nearly a month now and it's doing my fucking head in. :mad:
Agreed, I’ve stopped doing it now as I’ve had too many incidents, it pays to get experts in and if they fuck it up you’ve got recourse

·
Registered
129 Posts
left hand easy outs I think you have already tried this or get the size of the threads of the bush
grind or drill out clearance for the tapping size
not an easy task
could well be full strip down to fix
hope you can get sorted there Some great engineers out there

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
I need to come up to Essex soon so if it’s not done by then I could have a look at it.
We’d need one of these to clean the thread, a long M14 bolt and the new bush.

As you say, the bush got pulled towards the shock , there can only be a tiny bit of thread left and it should be possible to tap it back a bit till it loosens up then unscrew it.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
I need to come up to Essex soon so if it’s not done by then I could have a look at it.
We’d need one of these to clean the thread, a long M14 bolt and the new bush.

As you say, the bush got pulled towards the shock , there can only be a tiny bit of thread left and it should be possible to tap it back a bit till it loosens up then unscrew it.
Kind offer, thanks. I'll let you know what happens over the next few days. The new bush is at Jim Aims so I'll collect that tomorrow.

421 - 440 of 461 Posts