KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping speedo/dash RC8

Hi all
I have bought a maliciously damaged rc8 and am swapping parts over to rego inspection.
I have bought a new speedo on ebay to replace the one that has had the screen gouged.
Can I just put the new one on, or I can swap the innards if there is a computer/security issue.
Does any one know of a guide for dismantling the unit.
Anyone have a clutch hose to sell?
thanks in advance for any replies.
cheers
Mac

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is simply a multi pin plug to swap the units, God knows what you would have to do to get the info displayed from th.e knackered unit you are replacing.
You may well be able to swap the outer casings, these buggers are renowned for misting up in the damp.
Maybe see if you can get the casing apart on the fucked one ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the wrecked one only has the screen scratched, but I am worried if I just plug in the new one it will create a problem with the security system (if there is one) similar to ducati where the key and computer have to be matched.
If there is a problem I can swap the innards over, but if not I can just plug in the new one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's really nasty whoever did that.

I asked the same question to a KTM garage when I was going to repair a crash damaged RC8
I was told that you can't just plug in a new dash as there is a security issue so it has to be sent to KTM with paperwork to be matched-up.

I don't know if its true because I didn't go that route in the end.

Since you have a dash with damaged screen you may as well try and open it up to see if you can replace the screen only.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I changed one on my track only model no issues, plug and play. That bike doesn’t have key or any security though. I am betting it’s plug and play on street model as the dash isn’t the computer but merely a display.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts