KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seven years ago my Duke 640 got nicked and I changed jobs meaning a much longer commute, so I got a TDM900. Although I love the TDM engine, it handles like crap compared to that KTM and I've always missed that (I didn't miss the vibes of that 640!).

Now I've got the opportunity to to move back to KTM and I've got my eyes on a second hand 950 SM.

Has anybody else owned a TDM before their 950? Can you share your thoughts?

Will I find the SM seat height any higher (I'm a short-ass 5'8)

Although I ride pretty hard most of the time I do doodle along, short-shifting every now and then when I can't be bothered. Can I get away with that on the SM?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got a 990sm but the TDM 900 is best all round bike I’ve ever owned. I put up rated springs and got suspension set up made a huge difference on TDM . I'm 5.10" and SM is ok for me .

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Although I ride pretty hard most of the time I do doodle along, short-shifting every now and then when I can't be bothered. Can I get away with that on the SM?

Thanks
yes;); the 950 sm is a great bike; handles extremely well and dead easy to get the pegs down

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a TRX a few bikes ago and the 950 is a little harsher in the engine department but so much better everywhere else! I am also a members of the ducks disease fraternity and at 5'8 with shorty legs I don't have any dramas at all. Do the front sprocket (from 17 to 16 teeth) mod and you'll have a decent commuter that'll eat anything else for breakfast in the twisties

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Seven years ago my Duke 640 got nicked and I changed jobs meaning a much longer commute, so I got a TDM900. Although I love the TDM engine, it handles like crap compared to that KTM and I've always missed that (I didn't miss the vibes of that 640!).

Now I've got the opportunity to to move back to KTM and I've got my eyes on a second hand 950 SM.

Has anybody else owned a TDM before their 950? Can you share your thoughts?

Will I find the SM seat height any higher (I'm a short-ass 5'8)

Thanks
Sorry never ridden a TDM so cant comment on that bit. As for teh rest, here goes.

Its a narrow supermoto seat so your legs arent forced apart so much as a normal bike and you may find although the seat height is tall you can still reach the floor ok, if you see what I mean? But of course go to a dealers and sit onone to be sure.

The 950 engine does not like to be laboured. It'll slap its chain about everywhere. You have to keep the revs up. You dont have to thrash it everywhere, it just doesn't like chugging along. You tend to find it quite natural to draw out the gears on slight throttle openings if riding sedately, rather than short shifting.

The engine has some vibes of course but its a hell of a lot smoother than the old 640!

HTHs :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi - I have just become the proud owner of a 950 SM (a week ago), having been a devote TDM900 fan and owner for the last three or four years (45000k). Despite dipping my toe into a 4, a GSXR750, I quickly understood that I am a serious fan of the twin. Always thinking I was too short (5'6") for a KTM, I was chuffed to bits when I discovered that I could actually touch the ground with both sets of toes on the KTM.....So bought one.

The TDM is a fantastic all round bike, but the KTM is tighter and more positive, and will go around any corner that I waft under its nose. Am very, very happy with this SM! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies chaps. I had a sit on a SM-R at the weekend and first impressions were that it was quite a bit aller than my TDM, despite having a narrower seat, maybe I'm much more lacking in the inside leg dept, anyhow - I could only just reach the floor on tip toes. I see Corbin do a lower seat but I wonder how much of a difference that will make.
Whatever, I'm going to take an SMT out for a test ride at the weekend, I can;t afford one but I think it'll give me a good idea of what I'm in for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a TDM and swapped it for a 950SM in February. The TDM was more comfortable, had decent wind protection, good stability at speed and was all-round ok. Worthy but dull. The KTM looks 10 times better, the engine has more character and power, its just nicer to be on. I took it to Morocco so it can do anything the TDM did. Seat is a bit higher though, not an issue for me at 6'2 but shorties might struggle

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seat is a bit higher though, not an issue for me at 6'2 but shorties might struggle
Yeah, I look like a male by the fire hydrant every time when I stop for the red lights - 5'7 w/ 30" in-seam do that to me. Thought it would have been problematic, but after a day or two it's all cool now.
Don't let the seat height deter you, it's too good of a bike to miss!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts