KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Whatever you want to call it. Firstly let's get the jokes about over wanking out of the way,after almost after two years you will get a prize for one i have never heard of before. The last time i rode a bike in anger was March 2010 and since then i had about 10 minutes last year. Quite a bit of my time now is helping the boys with their bikes but i am not finished yet. Between this and moving house last year it has buggered my supermoto hobby which was great and a huge part of my life for six or more years. Riding bikes did not cause this problem and it is work related,this situation is being sorted with the OH department but they are slow to do anything. This year i want to ride and do some off road stuff and am now in an area where this is possible. Anyone got any experience of this problem and how was it solved,i am doing physiotherapy at the mo but is is slow and she reviewed the situation and thinks i should go down another route. HELP.

Alan.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Oh Yes.

I've started to suffer this as well, and being a builder it's an absolute bastard.

Right arm went last summer, really bad pains, Doctor was Fucking useless, after researching on the net it's pretty much as Sleepy says, just needs as much rest as possible.

I aslo found anti inflammatery cream like Voltarol really helps.

After 6 months the right arm was just about feeling ok, then a couple of weeks ago my left arm went, hurts like hell.

Oh well, just part of getting older I suppose, looking forward to pissing and shitting myself in a few years eh.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine started in April 2011. I was using a hammer drill to break concrete... the drill bit stopped and twisted me around the drill several times in one afternoon. Didn't really feel much at the time, but the pain started to arrive about a week later and gradually built up until I could hardly raise my arm.

I had buckets of Brufen and weekly physio - ultrasound, exercises, friction massage - for 6 months and nothing helped. Tried the forearm brace and a neoprene sleeve brace - useless.

I then had a Cortisone injection into the elbow area and a week later is was healed. So I thought. Cortisone takes away inflammation and is also a painkiller. So it merely masked the symptoms and pain for a couple of months. Then it came back.

Now back to square one. I have not riden my MXer since end of 2010 and i'm going out my mind. So I understand where you are coming from. I have been told that there is not much you can do except wait. :frown:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Was thinking about going for the injection with two weeks off work to keep it localised and therefore work,or so i have been told. My arm seizes every night and it takes time for it to bend,going off my head with this problem. Rest is the ticket and i have tried for another job but will have to keep trying,bad when you have to move jobs to solve the issue. Ta for the help and keep them coming.

Alan.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got it from using o e of them grip strength things trying to get rid of arm pump LOL.

Physio gave me some massages to do and a strap that helped but it took over 12 months to get to a state where I could ride the bike without pain. Still get pain every now and then now.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
banjaxed my knee at football last year and needed physio for a few weeks and had to rehab in the gym for months after to get it back to (relatively) normal use but best bit of advice he gave was to put a hot water bottle on the area as this warms up the area which in turn gets the blood flowing so ....hopefully..speeds up healing. Darn sight cheaper than deep heat etc and doesn't smell, also can be used in conjunction with something like Voltarol but all that is is a pain reliever. Only use TAP HOT WATER though!!! NOT from the kettle otherwise you'll have burns to contend with as well...

Not a quick magic cure but it will help i reckon....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've sufferd a few times with my elbow, it hurts like hell I know, last time I had a high dose of 2 different antibiotics and pain killers for 2 weeks which seemed to take the pain and swelling away, still abit tensor to touch though

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have used a velcro strap with a pad on it which did help a bit . I wore it as much as possible over the week ends and in the evenings when not doin much with the affected arm .
The first time I suffered from it was 14 years ago , I asked my doctor about these miracle injections which cure tennis elbow , Cortisone he said . I replied yes can I have one . He said what age are you , I relied 30 . He said 30 ..... 30 if you were twice that age I'd consider it but at 30 no chance plus if you get cortisone injections in any joint it will only cause more problems in that joint when you get older so there's the door close it on your way out .

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had it in both arms and it takes a long time to heal. Tried most of the above but I have heard that acupuncture is good.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had it in both arms and it takes a long time to heal. Tried most of the above but I have heard that acupuncture is good.
Had thought about this one but have no information,going to look for more info. Ta for the help and i appreciate all all the replies.

Alan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As you are aware you need to stop doing whatever is causing the problem. You say it is work related. If you continue doing things that cause the pain it will never start on the recovery phase.
It will probably take at least a year of rest with daily stretches before the pain goes completely, possibly longer. Then you need to start a rehabilitation programme - slowely for six months. After all that the arm should be fully functional.

·
Registered
177 Posts
had acupuncture on my knee every time i went to the physio, hate needles, he said won't hurt and it helps so i thought okay ahem can't hurt can it....i thought it was exactly what it is, annoying bordering on painful needles stuck in my knee that i felt done fook and think its all a bit rubbish, but then thats just my opnion/experience and i'm sure theres plenty people here and around the world will say i'm completely wrong....

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I'm off to have the injections in my left shoulder on Tuesday as it has stopped working above horizontal at the moment, been on Diclofenac for the last 3 weeks which has stopped the swelling. No idea what caused it but it's bloody awkward getting dressed.
Looks like all of us are falling apart.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Tenns machine for the pain worked well for me, but its taken a career change to get rid of the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey mate I'm a physiotherapist I have treated tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) hundreds of times, if that is defiantly what u have?

As has been said; rest and the removal of aggravating factors is the main ' treatment '

Being as your case has become somewhat chronic now treatments like acupuncture, anti-inflams, steroid injections TENS etc . . . will only help it feel better rather than actually cure it.

I imagine your physiotherapist has given you some stretches. these are best in chronic cases. The stretches although will be painful at first (if done correctly) will over time create an actual physiological change to the 'structures' causing your discomfort which is what you require. Over time the stretches will lengthen the muscle tissue and tendon to reduce 'pressure' and 'load' on these structures, along side this the stretches will be causing micro trauma which will initiate a healing response from your body to hopefully cure the problem.

give the stretches 6-8 weeks.

If these don't work, something more invasive is required. Very few tennis elbow operations are completed on the NHS so I have advised some of my patients to seek private treatment in regards to surgery . . . those patients that have 100% improvement. surgery can involve: multiple cuts along the length of the tendon and or muscle to lengthen/release it or simply removing the inflamed tissue from the muscle or tendon.

do your stretches.

Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey mate I'm a physiotherapist I have treated tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) hundreds of times, if that is defiantly what u have?

As has been said; rest and the removal of aggravating factors is the main ' treatment '

Being as your case has become somewhat chronic now treatments like acupuncture, anti-inflams, steroid injections TENS etc . . . will only help it feel better rather than actually cure it.

I imagine your physiotherapist has given you some stretches. these are best in chronic cases. The stretches although will be painful at first (if done correctly) will over time create an actual physiological change to the 'structures' causing your discomfort which is what you require. Over time the stretches will lengthen the muscle tissue and tendon to reduce 'pressure' and 'load' on these structures, along side this the stretches will be causing micro trauma which will initiate a healing response from your body to hopefully cure the problem.

give the stretches 6-8 weeks.

If these don't work, something more invasive is required. Very few tennis elbow operations are completed on the NHS so I have advised some of my patients to seek private treatment in regards to surgery . . . those patients that have 100% improvement. surgery can involve: multiple cuts along the length of the tendon and or muscle to lengthen/release it or simply removing the inflamed tissue from the muscle or tendon.

do your stretches.

Chris

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have sufferd this on and off for years, at my peak I was racing 40 or so enduros a season and ended up with it in both elbows. My bud Cookie told me to get some Arnica cream and oral arnica. I was doubtful but gave it a go. Cream on and rubbed into the spot twice a day, and the little pills taken as instructed on the pot. With days I could feel the improvement and after two weeks I couldnt feel it anymore. Racing was no problem. Every time it reoccured I just hit the arnica again and away it went. Brill. No doctor or medical person ever believes me but there you go. It works for me. When its bad I end up dropping cups and silly things and there is no doubt that it is tennis elbow. I found some tennis elbow cream for sale in the states and when I checked it out the active ingredient listed was.... arnica! Now a lot of homeopathic remedies have been removed from chemists so I don't know if it is still in the chemists. I don't really race much nowadays so I don't suffer too bad.

Worth a go for sure.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Just googled it and its still available. You need the cream and the pills in the little green pot. And its cheap as chips.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Also google "arnica tennis elbow" Examples here. Utube vid of therapist using it in a massage treatment of tennis elbow. In America....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts