KTM Owners Forum banner

Tents and Camping gear.

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  bw1 
#1 ·
Have a checked shirt, growing a beard...now I need to know about a good tent. Preferably one that can fit into a KTM plastic pannier. Camping in the Italian Alps early July at the LC8 rally. Suggestions anyone?

#7 ·
Just happens that I have a nice bikers tent for sale. used for one night.

Cheapest one on e-bay £60 will take £40 posted 2nd class

Various other camping gear, all used for one night
So I guess you didn't like camping then !

Good tent - I used one of those on a trip a few years ago - small, light, and easy to put up !

#10 ·
I've got the vango banshee 200 and a 3 season sleeping bag and a good ground mat works very well and get good sleeps without being cold

Stevie

Reactions: BDG
#12 ·
gotta agree with Stevie. You need a decent sleeping mat not just for comfort but for insulation from the ground and a decent sleeping bag. Get a silk sleeping bag liner to keep the inside of sleeping bag clean and if required wear some thin thermals as well. The bonus is the silk inner will remind you of your good ladies knickers!!!!

#11 ·
I have a Vango Banshee 200 for sale....

And will be going to LC8 rally.... :)

The tent has been used for 2 weeks in Norway, and a long weekend at HUM rally, plus Erzberg. £45 and it's yours? Assuming I could drop it at LC8 rally, or maybe £5 postage if not. The reason I don't use it is it is a two person tent, but with wet motorbike kit I find it a bit small.

#14 ·
I've got the banshee 300, that's my touring tent, but for camping weekends I use the vango omega 350, big porch for your kit or cooking when the weather isn't great, loads of my camping mates use these omegas too, great tents.

#18 ·
Want to buy the best I can afford so no budget really, within reason. After a bit of web crawling I had in mind around £300/£400 for sleeping bag, mat and tent (if all new) since I don't plan any winter camping. Also, had a couple of good offers on here that could save a good few quid.

#19 ·
There is no simple answer. I have several tents and sleeping bags and will use them at different times of the year, the kit I take to Faro rally in Portugal is different to that I take to the Dragon in North Wales in February.

There are any number of decent tents in your price range, Khayam or Vango, are both good but Vango will pack up smaller, I have an old style Banshee 300 great tent but mesh inner tent and not good for cold weather. Do you want or need to stand up or not, how much room do you need/want, how much do you want to spend.

But for a reccomendation

Vango Tempist 200, a Sungpak sleeping bag if you are bothered by getting a small pack bag, or an Alpkit bag if you dont mind a bit bigger and a Exped Synthmat speeping mat, I have the downmat which are great but unless you are going to use it a lot the synth ones are just as good for all but very cold weather.. You should get the tent for 150 or less about 100 for the bag and 100 for the mat, chuck in some cooking gear and get that from go outdoors, they do a great gas cooker for about 20 folds up into a plastic box tiny thing, a cheap set of pans and your good to go all up well inside your budget.

#22 ·
I got the halo 300, like it apart from in the rain as you can't have the door open as water comes in, unless you add a tarp as I do in the wet.

#24 ·
Digging this thread out again. I need some tent advise. I want a tent for bike touring mainly in UK and Ireland, so it will be windy. I really like the idea of a tent I can stand up in to get my gear on and I like the idea of hiding the bike away if I'm away from the campsite for any length of time. I keep looking at the Atacama garage tents but they look like they'll be blown flat in a stiff wind.
Is a garage tent really necessary or am I over-thinking it?

I have just bought a Terra Nova Zepheros 3 because its was light, has standing room and a good porch and looks sturdy in the wind. Unfortunately I was very disappointed to find on putting it up a number of faults. Wrong fittings had been stitched in so the door flap can't be tied back and the stitching is unravelling in the inner tent and the same problem with the footprint ground sheet. There's long loose threads everywhere you look and if you pull them it unravels like knitting. Its going back and I've now got no confidence in Terra Nova.
Now I'm back to square one with no tent and my holiday time slipping away.
What should I buy?
The Khyam biker tent is big and heavy but tried and tested. The Atacama is huge but slab-sided and I worry it'll not survive a Scottish gale. Or do I just buy a Vango Omega and be done?

#25 ·
I have the mark 1 version of the atacama garage type tent and it has stood up to some hellish wind.

If you really worried about stability etc and size just go to go outdoors and get a robens fairbanks you can stand (just) but a cracking tent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.