KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Was going to post this in the supermoto section but I guess it is general enough to be here (hoping it gets a few more eyes on it).

I have a KTM 690 Supermoto '08 model. The engine is making a horrendous "tinkling" sound (best word I could think of to describe it).

Here's a short video where you can hopefully hear it (might need to turn the volume up to really hear what I'm talking about).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vCGKnKJudY&feature=youtu.be

On a scale of 1-10, how worrying is this?

I'm probably going to take it in shortly to ask the KTM dealer near me to take a look at it, I'm just concerned that this might be a deep engine problem :{

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Incidentally, often when I start up this "tinkle" doesn't happen, but after a while (either idling or riding) it starts to tinkle.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My SMC use to do this. I ended up replacing the exhaust rocker arm and installed a Rally Raid Manual Cam Chain Tensioner and ever since then it's been quiet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the chrisdckm. I'll do some research on that.

@Stupid Luke Not quite looking to sell. I really like the bike, and love riding it. If it comes to that, I've made a mental note to hit you up ;)

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
that sounds just like my 2007 used to (the first year of trhe 690 sm). check valve clearances, change oil every 3000 and ride it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts