KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Never thought I would say it, but after all these years [35] I am bored with biking. :D
Every time we go out someone [usually me] has a close shave with a car/tractor driver. How many times can we get away with it?
The bottom line is, the roads are crammed packed with dozy drivers, that don't give a fuck about knocking you off your bike.

Coming soon in this order, Aprilia 550sxv + spares Ktm 950sm + spares. prices and specs to be confirmed.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame, both really tidy bikes................

Do you think you will have the KTM long enough to make Europe next year?

I'll have first dibs on the 950 accessories mate.....absolute vulture me.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
you'd better give Spinup first dibs on your SXV Terry, he can't keep a KTM in one piece perhaps he'd have better luck on an Aprilia:rolleyes: :rotflmao:

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
same reason i gave up, i mess bout of trials, pushbikes and turbo cars now.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Never thought I would say it, but after all these years [35] I am bored with biking. :D
Every time we go out someone [usually me] has a close shave with a car/tractor driver. How many times can we get away with it?
The bottom line is, the roads are crammed packed with dozy drivers, that don't give a fuck about knocking you off your bike.

Coming soon in this order, Aprilia 550sxv + spares Ktm 950sm + spares. prices and specs to be confirmed.
Terry
Seriously surprised to read this posting - unfortunately for me biking is like a drug, every so often I give it up and then somehow get seduced back into the club. This summer (and last) have been total washouts where I live and I just can't be bothered riding around in the rain when I also have a go-faster car to amuse me. Then along comes a sunny day I just want the fun that only a bike can deliver.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

know what you mean terry. theres a sad post on another forum about a young lad who was killed this week. he was only 22. just passed his test and im not sure but i think he was on his first ridout with some other forum members.
ive calmed down a hell of a lot since the birth of my kids. but i just couldnt give up bikes. just seems to be something i need to do.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The rot set in as soon as you bought the sxv, owning one of them is enough to make anyone give up bikes :rolleyes:.

I get where you are coming from tho, soooooooooooo many wankers on the road and with the arrival of mobile phones, its even more treacherous out there. I hope you get your kicks with yer cars/drugs whatever. I gave up bikes for a couple of years but missed it too much to habg up my boots forever. Now I just buy crap bikes that never on the road for for than a couple of menths before they need fixing:frown:

btw,

how much for your sxv :D;)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Only just seen this thread, was posted while I was away on me hols (of which more in a mo).

My advice Tel is to save youself some hassle and keep at least one bike. I firmly predict that if you sell both then by the time next spring arrives, if not before, you'll be unable to stand it any longer and you'll go out and get another bike.

Every now and then I decide I'm fed up with it all - and that's when I'm contemplating the palaver I have to go through to get on the bike every morning (putting on all the clobber, getting the cover and chains off the bike often in the pissing rain, etc) - but as soon as I'm off and away I'm reminded why it's all worth it - it just makes me feel alive like nothing else does. (And the older I get the more important that becomes, believe me!!). No, I really can't imagine being bikeless. And the odd times I've been without it's quickly driven me up the wall.

Anyway, point taken about the dangers of road riding. This was brought home very starkly only a week ago. Was coming to the end of a very enjoyable holiday camping in the balmy heat in southern France, went off for a spin in the car round the mountains on the last glorious afternoon. Came down a track onto the main road near the campsite and was stopped at the junction by police. We'd arrived bang in front of the aftermath of an accident, which probably happened about half an hour previously, evidently involving a car and two bikes. One of the bikes was fairly mangled but judging by the orange trellis was a KTM twin of some sort and the other was an unrecognisable tangle of black twisted junk. There was a lot of blood on the road. After we'd been stopped there about 5 minutes we (me, my missus and our 15 year old daughter) saw paramedics lift one of the riders off the road onto a stretcher and then zip him into a body bag. And this was about 20 feet away from us. A very disturbing experience, my stomach's lurching now at the memory. My missus was really distressed by it and she went back later that evening to leave flowers at the roadside. And I just know that after seeing that she'll picture me in that situation every time I go out on my bike. Not good at all. Won't stop me though - but I'll make darned sure I'm 100% vigilant 100% of the time.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
I have to agree. I'm never riding on the roads again. Ok i dont have a choice overhere and i only go out when the roads are dead. However the RC8 is only going in the van now abroad. English roads are shite. You get wet and with so many wankers out there, your gonna get killed at somepoint. Trackdays and motocross for me. where you can ride how you want with people that are like minded. I'd rather be sat in a dry van with a coffee and a bit of radio 1.:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I rarely have time to ride with mates now so i just pick the best commuting route, trackdays are the place to go crazy on them or roads where very few people go...including coppers. Thats the fun of SM's you dont have to go ballistic to have a decent ride. Superbikes are a waste of time

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Fair Play Terry............I had a real bad one this year..............But I look at it this way............something in this life is going to kill you.......thats for sure................just as well be the thing you love doing most.......................'Speed kills die Happy'

As the Doctor said ..............'Give up smoking, Drinking and Sex'

(Patient) Will that make me live longer ?.............

(Doctor) NO................But it will Certainly seem like it

/

·
Registered
32 Posts
The roads are full of knobs including me ..........I saw a mate get killed 10 year ago and it knocked me for a few year .I just cant stay away though !

Dont take life seriously ! None of us are going to get out alive .

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
what a load of kak................. terry all it is, is that you are to old to be on a bike...... now climb back onto your zimmer frame you crinkley old bugger....... and take allen j with you before you both fill your collostomy bags...:D

only joking fella (not about allen j tho).......
i often have the same sort of thoughts, but only AFTER a couple of days after a close one.... when it happens i am usually buzzing... and i think we all know the potental dangers (inc death) and deep down thats why we ride the 2 wheeled beasts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts