KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to think the AA were about fixing your car or bike and representing road users.

Now MCN have come up with an interesting story about how they generate money from those caught speeding!

How speed camera backers make cash from speed cameras - | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN

According to MCN - "The AA provides ‘speed awareness courses’ through its ‘AA Drivetech’ arm. The courses are offered as an alternative to prosecution. Around 30,000 offenders a year pay between £60 and £100 to take the course instead of receive points.

AA president Edmund King denied the firm had a financial incentive for supporting speed cameras, adding: “We’ve supported speed awareness courses long before we were anything to do with Drivetech.”

Or as Arthur Daley might have said "I've got a nice little earner there"!

Think I'd rather join the Idi Amin Dada for King of Scotland, Appreciation Society than that bunch of complete chancers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Someone has to run the company why not the AA?

If you were given the choice of paying £60-£100 or get 3 points what would you choose? Technically they are doing motorists a favour...

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
The government will skim a healthy proportion of that £60 to £100 quid too! It has basically been outsourced as the government couldn't do this themselves innit

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
if you dont go faster than the speed limit past the camera there is rarely a problem. personally I would love a speed camera outside my house!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I use the AA for what I thought they were for, ie break down and recovery, would prefere RAC as they re involved in motor sport, but the AA cover any bike/ car i'm in or on!!! as far as the speed cameras go, at least i have a chance of spotting the buggers, unlike those vans and the blue men who hide behind a bend or crest etc.

Anyhow the pressures on us are getting worse, price of fuel, tax, insurance and of course speed limits, the smile of owning a bike is slowly going

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use the AA for what I thought they were for, ie break down and recovery, would prefere RAC as they re involved in motor sport, but the AA cover any bike/ car i'm in or on!!!
The RAC also gives you that level of any vehicle breakdown cover so now you have no excuse to switch

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
nice one Pozi, i'l check them out when renewl comes around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts