KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember I had all sorts of problems with my Adv that never got sorted although it went to Laguna about 4 times.

Well it was stored up after I sheared off the rear brake (that is another story). So has been in for its 2 yr/9000 mile service at Hyside.

I've given them a list of all the issues I've had and finally someone has listened and taken me seriously.

Long story short when my bike was stolen recovered it was repaired by Carole Nash's recommended repairers Sudden Impact in Chadwell Heath in Dec 2007.

Whilst the panels were off I asked them to fit some electrical items for me as it would be cheaper with all the bits off already.

My battery kept going dead afterwards and they said they couldn't see anything wrong blah blah blah. It was fine for a while so I left it.

Started again along with weird handling issues so it started going to Laguna where I bought it from and they said I was imagining things essentially (because obviously I love taking a day off work to ride 50 miles to be told I'm imagining things).

So now Hyside have had a look and they've noticed that Sudden Impact have butchered the wiring loom and used house wiring! to wire up the extra electrical items.

It is going to be a very very big bill essentially and I'm not sure what comeback I have after the work was done 2 years ago.

Also Hyside are saying that anything over heated grips and a satnav just kills the KTM battery as it is so small. Even with an uprated battery the generator won't be able to keep it charged up as anything over 11 amperes goes into minus.

So question 1 is the only way to get compensation going to be via complaints and probably small claims?
Question 2 are KTM electricals really that weak??

Sorry for the long story but I already have a bill of £1200 to get this sorted plus the £600 already spent :(

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Also Hyside are saying that anything over heated grips and a satnav just kills the KTM battery as it is so small.
Sounds like bollocks to me

I rode through below freezing temps for almost a week with heated grips and sat nav and the bike never failed to start first time in the mornings, even after a night in temps down to -16 and beyond:

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Not so sure I want to go back to laguna now....

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Long story short when my bike was stolen recovered it was repaired by Carole Nash's recommended repairers Sudden Impact in Chadwell Heath in Dec 2007.

So question 1 is the only way to get compensation going to be via complaints and probably small claims?
Question 2 are KTM electricals really that weak??
Step 1: Get in touch with Sudden Impact and give them a chance to put it right. If it was the repair work that was paid for by CN then you can get them involved, but if it was your extra work that's at fault then that's between you and the garage.

Step 2: If they won't put matters right, then you might be able to issue a claim in the County Court (often referred to as the Small Claims Court) for the cost of putting it right. If you win, then the costs will be added to the amount you are owed by the garage and they are legally required to pay - although there's no guarantee that they will pay.

If you get in touch with Consumer Direct they will be able to advise.

HTH :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
wierd

That sounds like bollox to me on the battery front,i run heated grips and a zumo hardwired to the switched side of the ignition and my batteries been ok.You should go back to the tossers who wired up your bike and tell them you want your money back,no ifs buts or maybes,or you'll take legal action and get in touch with some of the bike rags.....just my 2pw

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
So now Hyside have had a look and they've noticed that Sudden Impact have butchered the wiring loom and used house wiring! to wire up the extra electrical items.

This sounds like typical one garage slagging off another ...and then we wonder why in the motor trade nobody trusts us... very un proffesional... try and get a solicitor or doctor to slag some one off in the same profession ,,no chance,,
"butcherd the wiring loom".....I would like too see the damage.... was the bike running ok........"house hold wire"".is not a problem and will work ok.as long as its not ring main stuff.. I asume they have used a bit off twin core which is white and looks bloody awful............what did you have fitted..............
And 2 years down the line i think you are on thin ice and wouldnt waste my time trying for compensasion

And how do i get this quote thing too work when replying to posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Also Hyside are saying that anything over heated grips and a satnav just kills the KTM battery as it is so small. Even with an uprated battery the generator won't be able to keep it charged up as anything over 11 amperes goes into minus.
Sounds like bollocks to me

I rode through below freezing temps for almost a week with heated grips and sat nav and the bike never failed to start first time in the mornings, even after a night in temps down to -16 and beyond:
Sounds like bollocks to me too. First of all, its nowt to do with the battery, when the bike is running, if the alternator cant keep up with the electrical load, it will flatten the battery, irrespective what size it is (just a matter of time).
Also, Satnav uses next to no power.... :rolleyes:

As for electrical load, I have run:
1) 55W Fog light
2) 35W HID light
3) Stock hi + low headlights
4) Heated Jacket
5) Heated Gloves
6) Heated grips
(yep, it were fookin cold!)

For hours. And no problems.

(oh, and the satnav :rolleyes:)

As for the wiring, can you take a pic?
If it really is 'household' wiring - ie single-core, then thats not good at all. Single-core wiring isnt flexible, so it is prone to cracking/breaking in an environment with a lot of vibration. Moreover, they dont stay well on any crimp connectors. Post up some pics.

What were the handling issues again? I dont think you ever mentioned before that this bike was a stolen-recovered bike .... :rolleyes:

Sorry, just to clarify : you bought the bike stolen-recovered? Or while you owned it, it was stolen and recovered?
If the former, you might be SOL.
If the latter, Id be on the phone to Carole Nash.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ive not had any problems with high current draw from the battery. Check for poor earth connections. I run Sat-nav most of the time- just to play music. And the heated grips have been on all the time in the last couple of months.
As for the bodged electrics it's hard to believe that a motorbike repair centre would use houshold wiring. Ask for a short report and photos.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the OP said "anything over heated grips and a Sat Nav".

Anyways, if that was the case, why would they fit an accessory socket? To power the usual biker's paraphernlia such as heated clothing, comms etc, as already mentioned.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies :)

Quick updates.

Spoken to Sudden Impact and they said they're adamant they would have used flex heatproof wiring that doesn't look pretty but is definitely suitable. They're happy to look at it and see what the problem is.

He also mentioned that there is a black resistor diode on the right ahnd side of the wiring loom by the frame that is prone to melting and causing a leak. He has seen a couple of Adventures with this problem recently.

I'm going to take pictures of what Hyside say is "wrong" and take it from there.

On a seperate note during the valve clearances they balanced the injectors which Hyside were "way way out" and this is probably part of the cause of the bad running/jerkiness etc.

Anyone else had this happening? not the jerkiness but the injectors being badly out? Apperently KTM used to say they should never need touching and have only relented recently?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Im waiting with bated breath too see the out come
A resistor diode....and balancing the injectors...........I think we are loosing something in the translation here

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im waiting with bated breath too see the out come
A resistor diode....and balancing the injectors...........I think we are loosing something in the translation here
Hey I'm not an expert I'm just repeating what I'm being told by "the experts" and checking to see if what they're saying is utter bullocks or not.

Would you like to put forward your translation/opinion :)

I've been trying for over 2 years to sort out these issues so feel free to put in your tupence.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hey I'm not an expert I'm just repeating what I'm being told by "the experts" and checking to see if what they're saying is utter bullocks or not.

Would you like to put forward your translation/opinion :)

I've been trying for over 2 years to sort out these issues so feel free to put in your tupence.
MY opinion for what its worth (not a lot ) is this..........Forget Sudden impact the job was done 2years ago and what they did and how the did it dosnt sound too good so dont bother with them......Let the KTM dealer who has the bike now sort out the handling and throttle jerkiness ....because this seems too be your main problem... if i read your first post properly..........If the bike is running ok and charging ok I cant see a major problem with the harness. ..nothing that cant be repaired with the right gear and a bit off time....more details would be nice on the state off the wiring...........try and stick with one guy at the dealers and talk too him every time ...... as a foot not some of what you have been told dose sound like "AA" talk to me..........but Im not on the front line with the bike in front of me trying to make a living out of it.............good luck

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
MY opinion for what its worth (not a lot ) is this..........Forget Sudden impact the job was done 2years ago and what they did and how the did it dosnt sound too good so dont bother with them......Let the KTM dealer who has the bike now sort out the handling and throttle jerkiness ....because this seems too be your main problem... if i read your first post properly..........If the bike is running ok and charging ok I cant see a major problem with the harness. ..nothing that cant be repaired with the right gear and a bit off time....more details would be nice on the state off the wiring...........try and stick with one guy at the dealers and talk too him every time ...... as a foot not some of what you have been told dose sound like "AA" talk to me..........but Im not on the front line with the bike in front of me trying to make a living out of it.............good luck
Good advice, its very difficult to diagnose things without seeing the bike.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well £1000 later I have the bike back with a few answers and all round betterness.

1) The tracker is killing the battery, it takes more amps than an alarm. They didn't realise there was a tracker until I mentioned it.
I'm severely p'd at Laguna as I asked them several times if it was the tracker killing the battery and they said no.
2) the shock had been put on the wrong way round! Another Laguna F up.
3) The injectors were way way out and the bike is no much smoother and much much less snatchy. The surging has also gone.
4) whatever they've done has cured the weird handling sensation at speed

Wallet is lighter but much happier!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts