KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To try and keep all the relevant info together for track day novices, those who'd like to try it and seasoned track gods.

Where have you ridden? How did you find it? What did you ride? Which company organised the day? Stick all of your knowledge, experiences, piccies and videos in here.

I've ridded Brands twice, (both days organised by MSV) first the Indy and then the GP circuit. The Indy circuit is great for the complete novice as a first track experience, really simple and short layout is easy to learn and not be too intimidating. The GP circuit was great fun too but probably getting to the limit of track size for a SM. I got swamped on the straights by the sports bikes but made up all the ground in the bends. Paddock, Druids and Clarke are all a right laugh on a SM.

These videos are from my last visit to the GP circuit. First one has some music and the second is just engine and exhaust sound.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice videos and nice thread ideas, I have no videos but a few pictures I will put in this post later when i edit it.
I have done track days at brands hatch indy and snetterton 300 on my 690 smc. Brands hatch indy is a wicked track for supermotos, i cant get enough of it.
Couldn't help but think snetterton was a bit too fast and flowing and straights are a bit long...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've done a track day at Rowrah and raced at Lydd.

Rowrah was a laugh, that was on my old 2003 660 tracked out with slicks. Geared it down a hell of a lot and shortened the wheel base to suit and it was a monster. Still a big beast round a track like Rowrah, but it was manageable and an absolute torque monster :D I wish I still had that bike for track use. The track day was through MotoXtremeEvents and was insane value for money. I think we did 6 or 8 sessions of 30 minutes each for £50. That's a LOT of track time for the money and I was thoroughly knackered by the end of the day. The day was well organised by them too. Hopefully they do some more track events next year.

Lydd was with Southern Supermoto in the British Masters championship on my 690 LOL. That was an absolute handful. Lydd is a tight track with a dirt section and a 690 is not the most ideal bike to race round there, especially with standard gearing and wheelbase and road tyres (I didn't use all of the gears as you can imagine). The weekend consisted of 2 days of 3 races plus practice and qualifying, with lap time transponders provided by SSM. Another well organised weekend with a good deal of track time, I just wish I had a more competitive bike :wanker:

The only think I didn't rate about Lydd was the paramedics. I highsided in the final race and took a pretty big bang to the head :redface: which resulted in me being knocked out, and later helplessly falling asleep in the van on the way back and spewing at the side of the road. They didn't care much, they seemed more preoccupied with getting home since it was the last race of the weekend.

Pic from Rowrah (miss this bike :frown:)

What my 690 looked like after Lydd :smokin:

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's serious... falling asleep is very dangerous after a blow in the head... you should have been taken to hospital and had a cat scan...

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
done Rowah (tarmac..kart track) a couple of years ago.. organised my King Kock(sorry King Karl :D )
great value for money...
my opinion....... fookin fab... go for it fellas

done Kinsham (tarmac...kart track) a couple of times. basically turn up and ride.
on a wednesday,,,,,was £60 for all day with open pit
again great value for money
my opinion....... fookin fab... go for it fellas

Lydd a long time ago... tarmac (kart track) and dirt
was good day out, but they are few and far between nowa days at Lydd
my opinion..... if you can find a track day there.... fookin do it

done Lydden hill once.. got it at half price (£63)
limited to 4/5 x 20 min sessions in groups (beginers-- intermediates--expert)
went in beginers.... bored as fook as ready to go haome.... got into inters group, and that was good
wore out the right hand side tread on my front avon pro extreme in the 1st 2 sessions, so turned it and did the rest with it on backwards...
only 4 corners and 3 are right handers
my opinion..... would not pay full price to ride there, even tho it is my most local track..(poss if it was packed with S.M`s)

not done a "big" track.... too worried about fookin my engine down 130mph straights
i am prolly the slowest cnut out there...... but by Christ i enjoy myself

ALL MY TRACK TIME HAS BEEN ON A 2004 625 ROAD BIKE... WITH ROAD TYRES, NUMBER PLATE AND LIGHTS

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's serious... falling asleep is very dangerous after a blow in the head... you should have been taken to hospital and had a cat scan...
pfff, this is supermoto racing, not some poncy football lark :smokin: :wanker:

in all seriousness, looking back it was a bit daft not to get checked out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great post Crispy.
I've only ever been on track on a road/race bike, either racing or practice. Lost my bottle a bit over the last few years, maybe I've just 'grown out of it' as the wife says(!!!)
I've been tempted to take my Supermoto onto Mallory or Cadwell but I just can't bring myself to do it, don't know why. I might do it next year.........

·
Registered
311 Posts
Lydden Hill this Sat small track good bunch in the Paddock cheap as chips day a good larf I'll be there for a hoon in the Psycho group ......LOL.....then home in time for tea.....see you there :D

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
This thread will soon have BOLD CAPS all over it

KK where are you ;-)
prolly rubbing his willy on a set of alpina`s

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I did Rockingham on a 600 gixer.... I would love to do it on a supermoto. I reckon it is the best national circuit for supermotos... no long straights, plenty of corners :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts