KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I've been wanting a KTM for a while, ever since I tested a mates 950 SM several years ago... So it was finally time, I made the trip up to the KTM Centre (Jason and co are awesome - very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable) to test ride a 990 SM-T and a 990 Adventure this past Saturday.

I'd made up my mind by the time I handed the bikes back but for good measure slept on it and then ordered the SM-T on Monday! I'll be picking it up next Saturday and I can't wait! :D

I went for an orange bike, with Akras, alarm, scottoiler and rim tape... With the KTM offer on now (basically VAT off) it was an irresistible deal!

A couple of questions though...

1) Any running in tips?

2) On security, I live in London (the north end of W11) and will have to use residential parking (thankfully RBKC fit ground anchors to their residential bike parking). I'm thinking of using an Almax chain and lock - any idea what length I should get as the anchor would be behind the rear wheel and I want the chain to go through the frame? Is one of the no-pinch pins a good idea?

Thanks, and I look forward to many years of Orange madness!

cheers,

bfg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found out the bike has arrived at the KTM Centre - too bad they can't get it ready and registered till next week!

/bfg

·
Registered
121 Posts
You'll love it, got mine a couple of months ago, just the bike for this muppet.
Don't worry too much about running it in, just ride it, don't be afraid to give it some now and again. Suggest a rear hugger and front mudguard extender if your riding through winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You'll love it, got mine a couple of months ago, just the bike for this muppet.
Don't worry too much about running it in, just ride it, don't be afraid to give it some now and again. Suggest a rear hugger and front mudguard extender if your riding through winter.
+1.
A rear hugger easily made to fit is the one for a HondaVTX1800 from pyramid plastics uk.(clickety click)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Superduke carbon hugged fits too. Running in tips - do what the book says but don't worry about taking it up to 7 k revs occasionally. They do use oil so once the first service is done, keep an eye every few hundred miles. Mine used a litre before the 4500 service. Otherwise, enjoy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skidmarx hugger is on the list - thanks for the pointer! I even think it looks good, once repainted in matt black. :)

Any ideas around security/chain length?

thanks!

/bfg

·
Registered
162 Posts
hiya,

A couple of questions though...

1) Any running in tips?

2) On security, I live in London (the north end of W11)

bfg
1) Running in ! ! what's that - just ride it like you stole it

2) Move house ! !

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pick up my new silver smt tomorrow can't wait .........

I would get the Almax chain before you get your new bike and use it everytime mate.

Roll on tomorrow .... bye bye blade ....... hello comfy moto

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almax arrives tomorrow - pick up the bike on Saturday! I'm even considering a new flat (with secure underground garage) for the smt... :)

/bfg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sm-t rule :)
Just went out on mine for the first time today and what a thrill it was, you will love it and want to ride it everyday.
I think you chose the right bike mate :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Picked mine up from leisure trail today, said goodbye to the blade (and neck ache at traffic lights) and rode home in the pissin wet.

thing is the motor does'nt seem as tight as i was expectin??? took it to 7k a couple of times and it seemed happy enough, can't wait until tomorrow though as its gonna be dry. yeah!

Ayone else find the levers a little high, and the gear shift needs droppin a notch too.

at the moment life is gooooooood!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Picked mine up from leisure trail today, said goodbye to the blade (and neck ache at traffic lights) and rode home in the pissin wet.

thing is the motor does'nt seem as tight as i was expectin??? took it to 7k a couple of times and it seemed happy enough, can't wait until tomorrow though as its gonna be dry. yeah!

Ayone else find the levers a little high, and the gear shift needs droppin a notch too.

at the moment life is gooooooood!
tilted handle bars forward slightly -much better,altered gear shift to suit. continental sport attacks seem awful in wet compared topilot powers on my other bike (950 sm )

·
Registered
162 Posts
chuck the Cuntinental Sport Attacks, they are total crap - drop on a set of Michie Pilot Road2
I shouldve done that with mine from day 1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never thought of rolling bars Doh Homer moment!!

Altered gear lever now much better for my dainty little webbed feet .lol.

I know what you mean about the PR2's had them on my blade they are good tyres.

gonna put the conti's on fleabay i think before they wear

thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts